xi. BECAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME

DAFFODIL.
— its latin name is 'narcissus', named after the river god from greek mythology. it symbolizes rebirth and new beginnings, as it's the first one to bloom after the winter frost.

     eren jaeger, though quiet and reserved for most of the time, was always a good company throughout busy or boring days.

     you were the chatterbox between the two of you, always have something interesting to say in any occasion with no break and the brown-haired man would simply listen. it was a special friendship, you could say, and you wouldn't have it in any other way. his company alone was enough.

     ever since you visited carla jaeger's grave, eren seemed to be different than before. of course, he was still grieving over the loss of his mother but his change... it was just like your first day of meeting him.

     the sadness was still there, locked up behind the jail of his bright green eyes, threatening to break free.

     but... he looked at peace for the first time.

     two weeks have passed, and it's been four months and a half since you met eren. he has been by your side by the past few weeks, as often as he could, sometimes dragging you back to the graveyard and often lingering around in your shop. a surprise really, but it made you happy that he was no longer locking himself in his room.

     you never forced eren to tell you everything that's bothering him. with a quiet person such as himself, hiding all that's 'negative' about him, you knew better than to force him to talk to you.

     but you make sure tell him, through ups and downs, that you're by his side.

     he doesn't really mind your outgoing company as well, often by your side in every second of the day as much as he could, when he isn't too lazy to go out or if you're busy with handling your shop.

     "oh!"

     your soul almost jumped out of your skin when you got to the front of the small building, the keys of your flowershop dangling on your finger as you look up to meet the green hues of eren.

     "you're early today, is something the matter?" you asked with a soft smile after calming your racing heart, "the sun is just peaking."

     eren bit his lower lip before handing you the bouquet of gardenia once again, nestled in his arms. a warm fire ignited inside you, not too hot to scorch you but enough for you to want more.

     it was confusing. that sort of thing always happened when he hands you the bouquet, though you never really chose to question it. maybe it's just nothing after all.

     "thanks again for accompanying me yesterday, i hope i'm not making you tired for dragging you almost every single day." he handed the flowers to you and you smiled, gently taking them from his touch.

     "they're lovely as always, thank you."

     this has been the usual routine. every time you come with him to visit his mother, he gifts you gardenias. ironic, really, for you are a florist with the flowers planted in your shop but you never complained.