Chapter 15: Does He See Me?

-Rylee-

I walk onto the bus and sit next to Emme, we have become quite the bus buddies you could say. I am wearing the new Drumline hoodies we got yesterday. As I walk by Jack and his crew, he shouts,

"Hey look, it's the drumming stick!" All of his friends laugh and say other jokes about drumming and... how I'm skinny. I ignore them as I walk past them.

"I wish they would leave everyone alone." Emme says as I sit down.

"Yeah." I say and sigh.

"Isn't Henry also their friend?" Emme asks.

"Oh, uh yeah he hangs out with them sometimes." I say. I wish Henry wasn't like them, and I've seen that he's not. But he still hangs out with them, just doesn't act like them... often.

"Two more days till winter break!" Emme says. "What are you doing?" 

"Oh, nothing much, some family is coming for Christmas but that's it. What about you?" 

"I'm thinking about going ice skating with my friend Kira, if you want to come I'm sure she would be fine with you coming. She goes to Westmoore but she's super sweet." 

"That sounds like a lot of fun, can you let me know the details and I'll see." 

"Yea, of course!" Emme says. 

During lunch I walk past Mason's table, which Henry is sitting at. As I walk past I hear Mason snicker and whisper something to Jack, and he smiles. I quickly walk away and sit at my table next to Kiki.

"I love the hoodie! It's amazing, the fire is awesome!" She says. I pull up a picture from yesterday of Henry and I in the costumes.

"The costumes are even better and will look great with the makeup." I say. Kiki squeals as she looks at the photo.

"I love them! The show is going to be AH-MAY-ZING!" She says. I put my phone down on the table and eat my leftover pasta from last night. "So, you and Henry?" She asks, eyeing me.

"What?" I ask. My friend Lily looks at the photo. We are standing next to each other, our hands up in the air like we have superpowers. We look like total dorks.

"You two look adorable." Lily says. I almost choke on my food.

"What?" I ask again.

"I said you two look adorable, the way you two compete with each other in band is very amusing." Lily says and laughs.

"I have to agree, you two are fun to watch." Kiki agrees. I start to blush.

"We are just friends, very competitive friends. I mean, we compete and fight al the time in marching band Kiki." I say.

"True, but it's not as cute." She says and laughs.

During band I leave to refill my water bottle when the percussion has a lull in a song. I tap my foot to the beat of our last song as I refill.

"Hey Drumming stick, how's it going?" I hear Mason say.

"What do you want?" I say, not looking at him.

"We know Henry is in band." Jack says. I stop filling my bottle and turn around. "Oh, that got your attention."

"Thank you for pointing out an obvious fact." I say sarcastically.

"You have a soft spot for him, don't you?" Mason asks, a smirk on his face. I scoff.

"You don't know anything about me." I say. I try to walk around them, but Mason grabs my shoulder.