Chapter Four

Struck by the irony of being under a deadline in his line of work, Kao still had a job to do. Always an above average warrior of the dark, he rose to the challenge of every assignment. He had overtaken the fearless and the foolish: those who believed angels and demons only existed in the ink of long forgotten pages and those who didn’t believe in anything. But this assignment was different. He couldn’t categorize Allisa Freeman as either foolish or fearless. Allisa understood past the shallow exploration of human theology, both limited and defined by a PhD in Comparative Religion.

His mind teetering on the edge of a rabbit hole of thoughts, Kao couldn’t help but wonder how she had been armed with such knowledge; a knowledge that eluded so many others while skewing his success rate by thousands. And furthermore, why? And why now? But his exploration into the how of it all was short lived as he again focused on the task at hand.

Just any approach to claiming this victory for the Unknowns would certainly not do. And since he had already lost favor in the depths, he couldn’t afford to draw this out…or fail, for that matter. He needed to be precise, and he had to act now.

 He returned to the empty auditorium where he first encountered his target and found himself wandering from one end of the room to the other remembering the intensity of Allisa’s fear trying to connect to her essence and  scavenging through the tiny traces of her that had settled about room. His mind aligned, realigned, and eliminated data he had gathered while observing her. As he knelt in the place most saturated with her weakness, he could have easily been mistaken for a man calling on the Forevers. But his goal, far more sinister than a humble plea to the powers of Forever, was to consume anything that Allisa’s fear could reveal. With all of his senses active, he envisioned her fear building.  It culminated and emphasized her humanity.

The very idea of such limitations stirred Kao’s disdain for humans, but the results of the instant replay were minimal at best.  Her fear yielded nothing more than the obvious – she was a human who experienced fear. It was clear; the bloodhound had lost the scent.

His reading of Allisa had gone strangely hollow.  The sense of someone or something else lingered.  It lurked in the space now devoid of the hustle and bustle of conference attendees and facilitators. It solidified his belief that he’d missed something.  Unquestionably he lacked some detail relevant to the grand scheme of things…something that would help his assignment make sense.

The details never mattered before, but they could make all the difference now! Though his orders clearly demanded that Kao kill - not study, not question, not tether to the unknowns -  but kill Allisa Freeman, he still found himself for the first time, less inclined to follow orders and more inclined to get answers. But before he could make progress in either direction, he had to find Allisa. 

****************************************************************************************************

Don't forget to vote, share your feedback/suggestions in the comments and subscribe to http://www.twcolvin.com/