Chapter 12

The Lumineers - Stubborn Love

******************************************

CHAPTER TWELVE.

Mom tells me that she's nearly finished her Christmas shopping, that she'll be spending it with her brother's family back in Ireland. We talk for about an hour before she leaves for her nail appointment. She says her nails are long overdue for a refill.

When she's gone, I decide to clean. I tidy up the kitchen, unloading the dishwasher, putting utensils and plates back in their designated places. After this, I deep clean the bathroom, and I think I should really hire a cleaner.

Although, there is something therapeutic about seeing something gradually become cleaner. By the time I'm finished dusting surfaces and mopping the floors, I'm sweating and an entire two hours had passed. Even though my apartment is small, it can gather dust, alright. I make a mental note to definitely hire a cleaner after today.

Exhausted by this afternoon, I plop down on the couch, my whole body seeming to mould into the cushions. I catch a glimpse of the box on the coffee table, and take it into my hands. Opening it, it reveals a diamond engagement ring and a wedding band. I stare at my bare finger, toying with the spot the rings used to occupy.

I remember that Dalton stopped wearing his ring before he signed the papers. I tried not to dwell on it too much, because I know I stopped wearing mine first. Somehow, it still feels gut wrenching looking at the thing. It looks lonely and obsolete, if inanimate objects could feel emotions.

I wonder why humans feel the need to signify one's love for another, why a ring symbolises their commitment to relationship. In the end, the rings didn't seal or secure anything. Our vows were all just wasted, empty promises.

*******************************************

There were empty bottles of champagne and glasses scattered all over our kitchen counter. Confetti and "congratulations" balloons filled the room. Our friends and families surprised me when we got home from the ceremony the day before.

Dalton told me we were going our for dinner, and when we got back to the apartment to change, Stella jumped out with mini confetti canons and everyone screamed "hooray for Rosie" while Andy popped a bottle of bubble open. It was small, but it was lively and fun. I had finished college and earned my degree, and now all I had to do was decide what to do with the rest of my life.

Dalton was still acting cold towards me during the party, I had thought he was only weird in the car because he was nervous about the surprise. He kept avoiding me anytime I talked to him, or tried to touch him even. Each time I'd embrace his arm or touch the back of his neck, he'd excuse himself and start conversing with other people.

It was weird because we weren't the type of couple to give the cold shoulder, we'd talk and argue until the situation was resolved. What was the point in dancing around one another's anger?

I was tired when everyone left, and Dalton asked me to drive to the beach. For a May evening, the sun was just starting to set, and the air was still warm with a gentle breeze. I told him I just wanted to take a bath and that we could head to the beach in the morning. He was really insisting to drive down, but I was stubborn and knew there was something he wasn't telling me.

I was annoyed he was acting strange all day, and we argued until I stood my ground in taking a bath. He looked desperate asking me to go to the pier, and I kept saying it wasn't like our lives depended on it, and that he could go by himself if he really wanted to go.

When I got into the bath, there were no bubbles or special roses because I was so irate. I was a ball of drunk confusion. I could hear Dalton's footsteps coming into the bathroom but my eyes remained shut. For all I knew, he was in the doghouse for being over dramatic.

"Marry me," he whispered so quietly, I would've missed it if I breathed too loudly. My eyes shot open to him sitting on the edge of the tub, the ring shining brightly in the box.

It was simple, and nearly unromantic, but it was perfect. I was so unsure about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but I knew I wanted to do it with Dalton. He was the only thing in my life I was ever truly confident in.

"Is this why you wanted to go to the beach?" I asked him, equally quiet.

He nodded, looking down at the ring, "I had something small planned."

"Oh my god, I ruined it," I gasped apologetically, my wrinkly fingers clasping my mouth.

"Never."

After a while of silence, I whispered, "okay."

Dalton glanced to the sealing, sighing in relief and looked backed at me. The corners of his lips reached his eyes, his teeth dazzling as he smiled, "I must be the luckiest fucker alive right now."

Then I pulled him into the tub, even though he was fully clothed. He slid the ring on my finger, and he made me promise I'd never take it off. Piece by piece, he lost each item of clothing. We were the two happiest fuckers alive.

We were naked in the bath, and the water was cold by then but we clung to each other, slippery and ecstatic. He revealed his initial plan of bringing me to the pier, where we had our first date.

I teased that it sounded very cheesy when he said it out loud. To that, he rolled his eyes and said it was ro-man-tic. He went on to explain that he had people set up candles, and roses, and the street buskers would play us a romantic song. We'd have danced and laughed, and when I spun around he'd be down on one knee. I'd have thought it was just a celebration for my graduation, and I'd be none the wiser when he'd pop the question.

I apologised for ruining it, and that I hoped the candles and the roses and the street buskers made another couple happy, at least. No point wasting the magic because I was too stubborn.

He kissed me, assuring the bathtub was definitely the better option. Our magic didn't need to be carefully crafted and planned ahead, it was there whenever both of us were in the same vicinity.

I could feel it over the phone, in the ocean, in the sky, when we were fighting or laughing or not even together. I could feel our magic at the mere thought of him, and there wasn't a time I didn't think of him since that Monday we locked eyes on each other.

I was reeling the next day, I was finally getting everything I ever wanted.

The following week, he brought me to a house that he wanted to buy. It was falling apart, the walls cracking and the staircase was definitely a health and safety violation. Dalton kept convincing me that we could turn it into something amazing. He pulled me further into the house, the kitchen was tiny and most of the windows were rusted.

The garden was massive, but weeds had overgrown and there was a mix of dead and blooming flowers.

I had no words, and this panicked Dalton. He quickly said it was a silly idea, and that we could find a better, newer place. And when he tried to pull me out of the withering house, I squeezed his hand to stay.

"I love it," I whispered, tears in my eyes. He lifted me in an embrace and spun me around. We erupted in laughter from our excitement.

Home, I thought to myself.

Anywhere with Dalton was home.