part 1.

“Love is something far more than desire for sexual intercourse; it is the principal means of escape from the loneliness which afflicts most men and women throughout the greater part of their lives.”

    -Bertrand Russell

August 9, 2012

“Don’t tell me you finally scared him away Selena.”

“I don’t know,” Selena smiled taking in her sister Victoria. “To be honest, I’m surprised he even lasted this long.”

“Oh hush up Victoria” Mandy sighed as she passed the two girls. “She has not run off her fiance.”

“It was a joke mom” Selena laughed as she refrained from brushing away her mother’s hands. She remained where she was, she let her mother nervously brush her hair into place before adjusting her daughter’s already in place dress. “Relax.”

“Yeah” Victoria cosigned. “If anyone should be nervous it should be Selena. It is her party after all.”

“I know, I know” Mandy sighed waving off her daughters before brushing her hair from her face. “Sorry sweetheart, I don’t mean to stress you out.”

“It’s fine mom.” Giving her mom one last smile, she held up her empty glass before excusing herself.

Escaping her mom’s mini panic attack didn’t really make her feel any more at ease. She was at a venue filled with family and friends, it’s not like she could just disappear.

Stopping to place her empty wine glass on a nearby table, Selena made her way into the bathroom before locking the door behind her knowing anyone of her family members were sure to follow her inside once they noticed she’d gone missing.

Climbing on top of the sink, she slipped off her heels before unlocking her phone and dialing a number. It went straight to voice mail, forcing her to listen to the music playing outside as she waited for the chance to leave a message.

“Hey” she sighed after the beep. “It’s me. I was just calling to check in on you…”

Instead of adding anything else, she waited until her time was up before erasing the message and hopping off the sink. She paused to take in her reflection, her hands flattening out the fabric of the black gown she wore. It wasn’t the one her mother had suggested for the occasion, but she didn’t care. Between all the stress she’s been feeling lately, the last thing on her mind was wearing the dress her mother wanted her to.

After a day at the hospital, she had to head straight over to help set up for the rehearsal dinner. She was a surgeon at St. Mary Hospital working long hours and all she wanted was to spend time with her fiance. Between her stress and her exhaustion from her shift she was very tempted to keep the door locked and grab a quick nap. Instead she concentrated on pinning up her curls, her eyes focusing in on the ring placed on her left hand once she finished.

The light knock on the door caused her to cross the room before unlocking the door and opening it.

“Sorry I’m late.”

Keeping the door cracked, she watched as Kit slipped his bow tie around his neck the fact he wasn’t even completely dressed making her roll her eyes. It was all typical of him, so there was not a single sign of surprise on her face as she watched him quickly tuck in his button down. Kit has always moved at his own pace and after three years of dating, Selena had learned it was best to just wait him out, he’d always show up eventually.

When she didn’t open it any further, Kit didn’t even bother to fix his bow tie. Instead he rested against the door frame, his gaze holding hers as he gave her a smile. It was one which they both knew would make her forgive him for almost anything, although this case wasn’t the most dangerous circumstance he has had to use it.