Chapter Forty-Five

Back on schedule, right? Almost forgot about it... but I didn't!

Personally, I think this is a cute chapter, but you'll find out why soon enough. Tell me if I'm right ;).

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          “How is she doing?”

          “Well… she’s still asleep, must have been exhausted from what happened to her.”

          “Yeah, but I mean, do you think she is alright?”

          Steven shrugged. “I’m not really sure. Her feet will be okay, in time, they’re just burned. But I don’t know if there’s anything else that’s…” He glanced over at the pile of hay at the other side of the stable, where June was lying on a blanket, her eyes closed. “I don’t know if she’s hurt anywhere else. She was pretty shaken-up yesterday.”

          “What do you think happened?” Nadia asked in a whisper.

          “I’m… not sure.”

          “Will we tell her?”

          “Tell me what?” June said, breaking the whispering silence. She opened her eyes. “I’m awake…”

          “Oh.” Awkwardly, Nadia and Steven came closer. She didn’t say anything, rather unsure about what to say. Steven was a little better.

          “How’s your feet?” he asked.

          June nodded. “A little better.” They still hurt a lot, but less than they had last night. The cold water had helped. Though she’d wish Terrance was here to help her; he’d simply make a potion that would heal it in a flash.

          As she tried to get on her feet, both Steven and Nadia immediately came to help her, taking her arms and supporting her.

          “It’s better if you don’t… You should rest for a while.”

          “I have to find Terrance,” she said.

          “You’re in no shape to walk anywhere.”

          “But-”

          “You have to stay here,” Steven said and Nadia nodded in agreement as they placed her down on the hay again. “It’s better if you stay here.”

          For a second, she stared at them, surprised. Her brother seemed decisive, but Nadia was throwing an occasional look at her that told her something was wrong. “What is it?” she asked.