Part Two / Chapter Fourteen

I can't help but countdown the days until I see Ben. As I'm changing out of my costume after a Sunday afternoon show, I check my phone and sigh. Sixty-eight hours left. His flight is supposed to arrive at two o'clock on Wednesday afternoon. The more I check the time, the slower the hours creep by. It seems like Wednesday will never get here. I haven't talked to Ben much in the past few days; we've both been busy with our shows.

I say goodbye to the cast members that are still at the theater and walk outside. I weave my way through the tourist groups, trying to get to the train station. As I'm waiting on the platform, a text comes through from Noelle, saying she won't be home when I arrive. She doesn't give me an explanation, which is uncommon for her. Weird.

When I get home, I kick my shoes off and grab a cookie from Noelle's latest batch. I've earned it. Sighing, I sink into the couch. I'll get something more substantial to eat later; I'm not super hungry. I scroll through Instagram, smiling when I see a photo Josh posted of some of the cast. I miss my friends, but we try to keep in touch.

I finish the cookie and decide to find some actual food to eat. As I'm pulling some leftover pizza out of the fridge, I hear a knock on the door. I consider not answering, since I'm not expecting anyone, but my curiosity gets the better of me. I set the pizza on the counter and close the fridge before walking to the door. When I open it, I find that the person standing outside is none other than the blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy that I've been counting down the hours to see. Before either of us say a word, he pulls me into his arms and I wrap my arms around him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask finally, my voice muffled because of his shirt. I'm not letting go until I have to.

"Surprise." I can hear the smile in his voice. We hug each other for a few more moments, and then I pull him inside.

"You're here early." I can't wipe the smile off my face.

"Yeah, I was able to catch an earlier flight so I could come surprise you," he explains.

"When did you get here?"

"This morning. I was even able to snatch up one of the last available tickets to see Wicked earlier this afternoon." He grins.

"You were there?" I laugh, surprised.
"I was there," Ben affirms. "And let me tell you that you're one of the best Glinda's the show's had."

"One of the best?" I question with a teasing grin.

He shrugs. "I love you, MJ, but no one can ever top Kristin Chenoweth. That's just a fact."

I let out a soft giggle. "Okay, you're right on that one." I hug him again, afraid that this is somehow a dream. "I missed you, Benji. I can't believe you're actually here."

He smiles warmly. "I missed you more."

I pull away from him so I can look him in the eyes. "Nope," I reply, popping the 'p'. "That is impossible."

"Oh, it's very possible." Before I have a chance to argue, Ben changes the subject. "Have you eaten yet?"

I shake my head. "No, but I was about to before you got here. Do you want leftover pizza?" I laugh.

"That doesn't sound so bad." He shrugs. "I don't care what we eat, as long as I'm with you, I'll be happy."

I smile and lean up, giving him a quick kiss. "Leftover pizza it is. Go sit down, I'll heat up the rest of the slices."

He obeys. "I don't see her for six months and all I get is a small, quick kiss," he complains playfully as he sits, just loud enough for me to hear. "That's an injustice."

I roll my eyes. "I'll give you another later. But for right now, I'm hungry." I shake my head, smiling, as I heat up the pizza slices. We have so much to talk about, and I have more energy than usual. I'm looking forward to a long night catching up with Ben.

~~~~~~
Ben's back!! Yay! :)
thanks for reading!