The Darkness in I -01-

Chapter One

---

A shiver ran down my spine. I sat up straight in my bed, the darkness surrounding me. Visions flashed back into my eyes. Sasha's limp body bouncing to the floor, seeing myself... or Ja'Mie...

And most of all, Alabek.

Her name made my body shudder in complete horror. The horror I had felt after that infusion of power between us, like my soul was being ripped from my body. The aching in my chest was so strong... and it constantly came back to me.

The moonlight drifting in the window cast a strange light on the crumpled newspaper that lay on my bedside table. Though it looked withered and well read, only one article had been examined. The title read 'Madame Gloriana Student at Large', and then had a picture below it, of a smiling girl with a pixie like face and large moon eyes.

Sasha.

Why does nobody believe me? I demand of myself. Sasha never did anything. I was found at the Academy, lying on the floor next to Madame Gloriana's body. I was there. Yet no one, not Kane or Jack believed a word of my tale.

But I knew.

I knew it in my heart. How dare they not believe me....

I looked into the mirror across from my bed. In the moonlight, I could make out my faint reflection. Long blonde hair, pale skin, large haunted eyes. I collapsed back into my bed. Tomorrow all the memories would come glistening back to me. Tomorrow was the first day back at Madame Gloriana's. Tomorrow... tomorrow would be a fate unknown.

I reached up to my chest, feeling the crystal through my nightgown, my finger dipping into the small crevice of where a shard had been taken from it.

I was sure Sasha had that shard, and how ever small it had been, it had weakened my powers.

I shuddered at the thought of the other day, when I was trying to fill a bath with my powers and the water that ran smoothly from my fingertips ran out. 

Shaking my head, I turned over in bed. Tomorrow was likely to be today, and I had to prepare myself. As I slipped into sleep, a face came into my mind. He was pale, blue eyed with dark hair.

"Who are you?" my dream-self said.

He smiled, shaking his head and disappeared.

---

It has been many years since I have been alive and the feeling is amazing. The wind whips through my hair and my senses are keen. I slide my tongue against my teeth, they are smooth and clean. They are new.

My lips kiss the night and I feel a hunger growing inside me.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will feast but that is a moon away from now. The train rattles almost anxiously as I perch myself on a freight box. Humans waste so much.

I run my fingers through the coal. It is black and chalky, it stains my hand with it's black gunk. I bring the hand to my face and drag the fingers down my face. 

On my bag is a back pack, with all my 'belongings' although I will not need them. I reach around and slip my hand in, my hand catches on the shard of mirror. I feel my finger cut a little. As I pull it out and examine my face, a crimson drop runs down the glass.

I smile, my white teeth show and the conflicting colors resonate. 

Tomorrow I will feat, my now I must make do. I bring the mirror right to my face and bring my tongue onto the cold mirror, sliding across it and vanishing the blood.