Preface

In the shadow of the explosive event above the Podkamennaya Tunguska River basin some twenty years ago, I find myself faced with a hoax or a madman's puzzle the likes of which I've never seen before.

Under the foundation of a remote cabin, otherwise levelled by the blast, I found what I believed to be a diary. It was perfectly preserved in a thick hide of animal skin. But upon opening the book, I had to assume it was a work of complete fiction. It depicted a 17th century Earth unlike our own, but somehow hauntingly familiar.

They speak of the Judaeo religions, but there is no mention of a Christ figure at all, as if another event precipitated the death of old beliefs. It was like the Roman Empire never earned the 'Holy' moniker.

Then they refer to the time of the Black Plague as the 'great dawning' of the demon world. This gave rise to a mutation of humans into other races, and a foundation of magical and divine mysticism.

If the beautifully drawn maps are to be believed: The oceans around Europe rolled back. Landmasses shifted. England became attached to Europe, bridging France to Scandinavia. France became a nation of werewolves. Scandinavia became a land of ogres. These new nation-tribes became insular.

I've taken to calling this place 'OthEarth', short for 'Other Earth'. The only thing that keeps me from dismissing the entire thing as a work of fantasy is the skeletal remains found with the book. Seven feet tall. Claws like a bear. Maw like a wolf. But plantigrade legs, as if this... thing walked around like a human.

Surely an elaborate hoax. Surely.

Leo K. - 1928