12 - By My Own Blade

There were too many of them. After every Telmarine I cut down, I was swarmed with six more in their place. My limbs ached and my head throbbed, intermittently blurring my vision. More Telmarines poured out from the trees, bringing more catapults and weapons. I disarmed and slayed the last Telmarine in front of me and lifted my head to search for the Pevensies. None of the three were within several feet of me, and Lucy still hadn't returned. I sighed and turned back to the battle, digging my feet into the ground.

A sword collided with another nearby, and the metals scraped sharply together. The sound pierced my eardrums and sent a jolt of pain through my skull. My knees buckled and I fell to them, one hand loosely holding my sword on the grass and the other clutching at my temple.

The world around me pulsated, colors mixing like paint and the sound fading in and out. I faintly heard my name being called. Was it Edmund? No. My father's voice rang in my ears. I weakly lifted my head to search for him. Once I did, I realized why my name had been spoken. A Telmarine was charging at me, his sword raised above his head. It was aimed right at my neck.

It all seemed to move in slow motion. I willed my fingers to close around the hilt of my sword, for my feet to push off from the ground. I couldn't move. I was paralyzed to my spot, and I could only await death. In a last, futile attempt, I lifted my hand from my face above my head, clenching my eyes shut.

Caspian's yell reached my ears as the sound flooded back. I opened my eyes to see him standing protectively in front of me, his sword catching the Telmarines'. He shoved the man away and drove his sword through his side before turning to me. His mouth twitched into a half-grin as he offered his hand.

"Together, remember?" He said. I smiled and gripped his forearm, hauling myself to my feet. I stumbled uncertainly once I stood, but Caspian held a hand on my back until I had blinked all the stars away. We nodded and turned opposite ways, diving back into the sea of Telmarines.

Not even a moment later, the ground shook. But it was not like the way it trembled when we created the trench, or how the soil was disturbed when a catapult threw boulders into it. I could feel the grass and roots move beneath my feet.

I turned in the direction of the How. Trees! They had brought themselves from their retreat and come to our aid. A short laugh came out of my mouth as I fought on, my strength renewed. Lucy had found Aslan.

The trees dug their arm-like roots into the ground, traveling below us until they reemerged to tear down the catapults. The Narnian army cheered as they battled. Moments later, the Telmarine horn blew.

"We can defeat them if we draw them to the river! To Beruna!" A man called.

The Telmarine I was fighting pushed my sword away with his and turned on his heel, running in the direction of the river. I scoffed and followed.

The Narnian soldiers cried battle calls as we followed the scared men, on their heels. Reepicheep and Trumpkin were at my side, laughing and holding their weapons high.

I blinked, and the two surrounding me fell back instantly. I looked back to see them fighting a circle of Telmarines, outnumbered. I didn't hesitate before running towards them and running my sword through the one with his back to me.

Between the three of us, we took the rest of the soldiers down quickly. I grinned down at the two as my chest rose and fell rapidly. Trumpkin turned to wipe his blade on the grass as Reepicheep bowed to me.

"Thank you, Queen Macey." He said. My eyes widened as I looked down at his back, his once long tail replaced now with only a stump.

"Oh, Reep. I think your-"