French Plaits and 'Angry' Dwarves

Balin shook his head as he passed (Y/n). She was sat behind a sleeping Kili, with her fingers curled in his hair. She moved a strand between her spread fingers, before picking up a flower from the ground next to her. Sticking her tongue out, (Y/n) pushed it into his woven locks, before tying the whole thing in place. There it was. Her masterpiece. Kili's hair had been completely braided into a French plait, with multicoloured flowers dotted all over.

"Well he did say he wanted it braided. He should have specified." (Y/n) justified, putting her hands in the air. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to run like hell, because he's gonna wake up and kill me."

She jumped and sprinted into the trees, just as Kili yawned and stretched.

"What's wrong with my... What the hell..!? (Y/N)!" Kili jumped up and launched himself after her.

"So, who wants to place bets on how long she'll survive?" Piped up Bofur. Fili looked up.

"Ten gold coins says she's dead in five minutes."

***

Kili caught up with (Y/n) surprisingly quickly. He tackled her to the floor and lifted her off of her feet.

"Kili..? Kili...? What are you..?" (Y/n) giggled, thumping him on the back playfully. She twisted her head. "Oh no. Oh no no no no. Not there. Not the...!"

Before she could finish, the pair of arms carrying her opened and she fell into a deep gathering of water. A river.

"Serves you right for putting flowers in my hair!" Chortled Kili. As he began to walk out of the water, a hand pulled his boot back, making him fall flat on his face.

"Ha! Now we're both soaked!"

Kili grinned, pushing a loose, wet strand of hair away from his face. He laughed slightly, before tackling (Y/n) again, pushing her back under the water.

"No! Not fair!" She shouted as she came back up, tackling him under this time. After several more rounds of ducking and yelling, both dragged themselves back onto the banks if the river.

Laughing, (Y/n) undid the plait.

"I was damn proud of it though." She admitted, going back to her place next to him. Kili took the last flower, a daisy, out of his hair and tucked it into (Y/n)'s.

"Well I think the flowers suit you better."

(Y/n) giggled again, leaning back on her hands.

"You know something, (Y/n)? You are nothing like I first thought. You seemed so... Cold, so... Distant. Like starlight. And yet, you are warm and gentle, like the sun. Tell me... What are you?"

(Y/n) sighed and flipped a piece of her hair out of her eyes.

"If we are spouting poetry... I am the moon. I am cold and distant to those who wish to see me like that, but to a certain few, I am a gentle glow. Not quite a dazzling light like the sun, but a glow."

Smiling gently, Kili looked at (Y/n) properly for the first time. She was right. There was no dazzling beauty about her, but it didn't matter. Her beauty radiated with a soft glow of warmth.

"Now, Master Dwarf. What does that make you?"

--------------------------
FLUFFYFLUFFYFLUFFYFLUFFY