Chapter 4: Worry

- -HARRY POV- -

Back at school, things couldn't get weirder. The principal, Mrs. Talon, ordered everyone to the auditorium for a mandatory assembly.

I found a seat near the back of the auditorium. As I focused my attention on the stage, I vaguely recognized a middle-aged, dark-haired woman standing net to our vice principal, Mrs. Jones.

"Hello, students of North Beach." Mrs. Talon announces, hushing the room. "Today we are gathered for an especially important matter. That is, to talk about Avariella Montgomery."

Mrs. Talon then looked to the unfamiliar dark-haired woman before continuing. "Our dear Ava went missing two days ago. It is believed that she is on the run. At this time, please direct your attention to Ava's mother, Mrs. Montgomery"

The dark-haired lady, who I now know as Mrs. Montgomery, takes the mic and clears her throat. The poor woman looks distraught and tired. "Hello," she starts, "I would like to thank everyone for the great support I have received to help find Ava. Unfortunately, I was not as tuned into Ava's school life as much as I should have been. However, hearing from any of Ava's friends would be greatly appreciated. This is not like her to take off so suddenly. So please, if you know anything at all, please come talk to me. Thank you." Mrs. Montgomery finishes, wiping a tear from her cheek.

---

Once everyone had pretty much cleared out of the room, I ambled up to the side of the stage.

"Mrs. Montgomery." I say, breaking conversation between her and a couple of teachers.

"Yes?" She responds weakly.

"Hi, I'm Harry, one of Ava's friends." I explain. I watch as Mrs. Montgomery's face lights up.

"Really?! I m-mean, hello. It's so nice to finally meet on of Ava's... friends." she says. "Did you hear from Ava before she left? Have you heard from her since?"

"I did see her at the beach, the evening before she went missing." I say.

"I do remember her saying she had gone by there. How was she when you saw her?"

I bat my eyes to the floor before I can respond. I only picture Ava screaming in the arms of Blaine.

"She seemed her typical self to me. I didn't hear from her afterwards though."

"Well, thank you for speaking with me. Maybe we can meet for some coffee sometime. I really just haven't met any of Ava's friends, and I am desperate for information. Sorry." Mrs. Montgomery explains with a shy smile.

"Yeah. I want to find out where she's hiding too. I will see you around." I finally say, then exit the auditorium.

-----------------

I drive home as quickly as I can, hoping to beat Flynn home. As if something read my mind, my brother's name lights up on my phone.

{iMessage from Flynn}

- Not going to make it home tonight, hence why i had to do the first testing earlier. Going to town to get more supplies. I will stay with Luke tonight.-

I sigh at the message, but the sigh gets hitched when I see my parents' cars in the driveway.

Immediately, I race for my room, but my mother's voice stops me.

"Someone's in a rush." my mother says.

"Uh- yeah, last minute project for school. I really need to get it done. Why are you home so early?" I ask, trying to direct the attention away from my lie.