Be Myself - Chapter Fifteen

Marinette slowly marched up the wooden steps, each one slamming onto the floor so hard it sent tremors up her body. She decided that her hands were shaking because of those tremors - and not because she was afraid of what's next to come.

With a quivering hand, she tightly gripped the roof door handle and ripped it wide open, exposing herself to the sunny light. As she stepped out onto the roof, she tread gingerly, slowly, cautiously.

Thoughts flickered constantly through her mind:

Do I really want to do this?

Is this right?

Will people care that I died?

Honestly, when she opened the doors, she half expected to find someone standing there - but no one was.

Maybe this is a sign... she thought to herself. Slowly her fear melted away.

I'm doing this for the good of Paris.

They need a better Ladybug.

They don't need a Marinette at all.

Her mind flickered back to the past with each step she took toward the edge.

Baking with her parents.

Having a picnic with her friends.

Her time spent with Adrien.

With each step her mind went farther back. Deeper, darker, and crueller memories brought themselves forward. She remembered a song she used to sing while she was young, alone, and by herself. Before she met Alya and became friends with everyone in the class. Back when being bullied by Chloe was something she was used to.

How did it go again? She only seemed to remember the final verse - it was the one she sung most often back then.

She took a deep breath.

And sang.

"There's no one here today, I guess it's time. It's just me, myself and I."

With each beat of the song Marinette moved a step further. She felt bittersweet about singing this particular song. Happy - she loved singing - but also sad, as this song brought up memories of her past, reminding her of why she needed to do this in the first place.

"There's no one who can interfere. No one to get in my way here."

As she continued to sing, she slowly removed the yellow cardigan, gifted by Chloe.

I guess Chloe will get this back after all...

She removed the beautiful red shoes from her feet and placed them to the side of the roof edge.

Hopefully, Rose will be able to wear them at a party someday.

Her hair fell from its restrictive band, and the red braid on her wrist came undone. As her shining hair flowed in the breeze, she remembered Mylene.

She'll find someone better to tie braids with.

While she will miss her friends dearly, she knew that doing this is the best thing for Paris.

She stood on the edge, and for a brief second, admired the view. She felt the wind moving around her, the warm sun on her face, birds chirping. She felt content.

"This petite girl, short as can be," she sung.

"Is gonna jump now-"

As she spoke the final line, she spun and threw herself off the roof, feeling herself plummet below to the floor.

"-And be free!"

Wait...

"What??"

--Earlier--

Okay - Tikki may have gotten a tad suspicious. Especially regarding Marinette's past roof visits.

"I'm sure it's nothing..." She muttered to herself, eyeing the unopened letters.

Opening hers a bit early...

... wouldn't hurt - right?

--Back to Present--

"G - guys..." Marinette muttered. She couldn't believe her eyes!

"Chloe, Rose, Mylene - what... are you doing?" Marinette asked. Mylene was tightly gripping her left ankle, Rose was holding onto Mylene's arm, and Chloe was hanging on to Rose's waist as hard as she could.

Mylene getting involved with something so dangerous was unheard of - Rose standing out so badly is one of her biggest fears - and Chloe wouldn't dare be seen holding another student so closely. But all three put their fears aside just to help save her.

Why?

Why would they-

"AHH! NO, MARINETTE!"

"AHH!" Marinette yelled, as the grip on her ankle faltered, and she again began to fall toward the ground. She wanted to die peacefully - not like this - not while everyone was watching!

She vaguely heard Mylene yelling for Chloe to call an ambulance, and Rose screaming for help. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she realised...

This is it.

"I DON'T WANNA DIE!" She screamed, as the ground steadily approached her face.

She covered her eyes and braced herself.

For...

Nothing?

She timidly looked up, shocked about not feeling every bone in her body instantaneously break. Although now she thinks about it, maybe she shouldn't be upset about that.

"I... What...?" She muttered, feeling extremely light-headed.

"... Chat Noir?"

And with that, she fainted in Chat Noir's arms.

Chat Noir held her close, and refused to move or let go of her, until the ambulance arrived. All he did was clutch her to his chest - Tikki on his shoulder.

And if Tikki saw tears on his cheeks, she pretended not to notice.

Hiya everybody!!! I'm back and very happy after taking a break from school the last couple days.

Sorry for the weird structure, but it didn't feel right writing long paragraphs for this chapter, it felt better writing short sentences in their own paragraphs.

I hope you guys enjoyed this, and hopefully the last chapter will be out soon.

But for now...

Peachy out! 😊