Three

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

I leaned back, my skin acquiring solace from the satisfying chill of the AC.

"You were frantic while walking," he said, still driving. "Were you just walking home when I spotted you?"

I chuckled nervously. "Wrong question, mister," I said, craning my head to his side. "I don't have a home yet."

Not anymore.

He was there. Pagkaramdam kong naroon siya na tila isang patalim na bumabaon sa batok ko ay lalong binilisan ko ang bawat hakbang. Halos pumutok na palabas sa dibdib ko ang aking puso. Dala ng magkahalong kaba, takot, at lungkot humalo ako sa dagat ng mga naglalakad na katawan.

Azarias saw me being frantic with my steps, and I hated it so much that he noticed it. I was scared while mixing in with the crowd, doing my best to be inconspicuous in order that the hunting eyes won't find me.

Azarias came and I heard him call me by my name.

I never heard someone call my name the same way I'd heard him voiced it out. His saturated voice immediately warmed the walls of my cooling chest. Pinalis ko ang luha ng takot na nagtabon sa bola ng aking mata bago yumuko.

My lips twitched tasting the flavor of fright. Dinala ko ang likod ng kamay sa gilid ng aking labi.

"You can move in next week. Didn't hear a thing from you for three days and it had me starting already..."

"Azarias!" Walang kung anu-ano'y matalim na tinitigan ko siya. "I promised to help! Huwag kang mag-alala, I'll get your house cleaned and shiny kapag nakalipat ako."

"When is that?"

I mimicked the same glance he threw me the first time we met. I let my eyes linger on his pair of hands manning the steering wheel, with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows that revealed much of the enticing ropey forearms.

I glanced up at his face again then struck by the flash of grin on the corner of his lips. Inalog ko ang ulo. I can't look at him this way, macking on him when he's the kind one offering me his generosity.

But there was something in the way he smiled, somehow despite its utter innocence has managed to form flirtatiously.

"Tapos na akong mag-empake at magligpit ng mga gamit. Kailangan ko nalang ng sasakyan na mapagkakargahan," sagot ko nalang. Napakagat ako sa ibabang labi.

"What time is your next class?" he asked all of a sudden.

"Today?"

"Today..."

"Wala na. Wala na akong pasok."

"Your place just near?"

"It is. Kakalampas lang natin kani-kanina."

He narrowed his almond eyes at me in disbelief. Tinawanan ko siya. "Ano?"

"Ba't hindi ka man lang umimik?"

"Well, I don't want to pull you out from your test drive. Something is telling me that you're enjoying it."

The car revved before it pulled in a corner. Azarias is already maneuvering the entire vehicle.

"You're moving in now," he announced, and I don't think I can say no to that.

Niliko ko ang ulo sa kabilang direksyon dahil napansin ko ang mapang-inspeksyon na mata ng attendant sa front desk.

"Dito ka nakatira?"

"Ngayon? Hindi na." Ngumiti ako nang humarap muli sa entrada ng elevator at sumunod naman siya. "I'm warning you, my room isn't the nicest so please, no expectations..."