Surprises

After a very long 24 hours I was finally back in my apartment. I couldn't wait to take a shower and get out of these soiled clothes. I sighed looking towards my bed seeing something I never thought I would see again. Evelyn and Josephine's journal. I smiled at it proudly, walking towards the small booklet on the bed. The leather was worn out from the many readings that it had gone through. I flipped through the pages and sat down on my comforter forgetting about the needs and went through the motions. I quickly grabbed a pen from my bedside table and jotted just one sentence down.

"Between darkness and light, good or evil, the Carnahan and O'Connell legacy will live on forever."

I smiled at my handwriting, closed the journal and decided to get out of my clothes. I started the shower when I felt arms wrap around my torso.

"Mind if I join you?" I heard Nick's voice ring through the room bouncing off the tiles on the wall.

"Not at all." I smiled as I moved into the shower with him behind me. I felt the water washing away all my original unsatisfied needs, to live up to my family's legacy, I had done that. The man I fell in love with, I had. The career I always wanted, had it. I was fulfilled. I had everything I needed here with me. Nick's hands tangled in my hair as he tried to brush through it. Getting the dirt and rubbish out of my hair. He shampooed it for me as I stood there and let him do the work for me. He surprisingly didn't try anything though it was the first time he'd seen me naked in years. As he finished washing me off I returned the favor, being careful not to bother the bruises on his body from being thrown around like a ragdoll. I ran my fingers down his toned body happy to have him back in my arms. I smiled as I pulled him into a hug and we stood there for what seemed like forever just letting the water wash over us.

As we got out of the shower I decided it was time to get a little nap before the new day started. I pulled back the covers and got in before Nick was even out of the bathroom, my dreams had taken over. I did feel him get in next to me cuddling up near me.

When I woke up the next day feeling fairly refreshed but still exhausted. Nick was nowhere to be found. I looked to my right to see a note near my bed. "Don't freak out, I'm making us food for dinner. You slept late." His messy handwriting covered the sticky note. I smiled holding the note to my chest. I pulled the covers back getting out of bed still in my robe. I was so insanely surprised when I walked over to the door to find another one "Nope, don't leave the room... If you ignore this (which I know you will) get dressed first." I scoffed at this one. Not happy to pull on my regular outfits I settled for a dress I noticed had been pulled from the wardrobe and hung on the door of my closet. I quickly threw it over my head and walked towards the bathroom near the vanity. "Get dolled up if you want, you're are absolutely stunning without it in my eyes." I smiled slowly opening the cabinet to grab my makeup, slowly taking my time to get the right brown smokey eye I wanted. I threw in my hoops I rarely ever wore, threw on the finishing touches of mascara and moved my way out of the bathroom. To the door and out to my living area. I smiled as I noticed the roses scattering the floor and the lilacs and lavender in the vase. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I noticed Nick in a suit cooking. I crept up behind him and hugged him.

"I knew you wouldn't stay in bed." Nick told me as he turned around.

"You know me well. Apparently I don't know this side of you." I told him as he planted a kiss on my lips.

"I'm full of surprises." He told me then turned back around to finish up his cooking. He plated the steak and asparagus from the oven.

"It seems you are." I replied as he walked me towards the dining table.

"Listen Elizabeth..." My breath caught in my throat as I knew where his words would either be terrible or amazing. He set the plates onto the table and pulled a box out of his jacket. As he knelt down in front of me,

"During these past couple of weeks I've been thinking about how much a mistake it was for me to let you leave me. Never again will I ever let that happen. I love you. I've been wanting to do this for years now, but now it just feels right, after everything we've conquered, I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else beside me. I'm done sleeping around, I'm done being the player, the thief. Will you marry me?" He stared up at me with a dazzling smile opening up the box to reveal a beautiful marquise set diamond with a silver band.

"Yes!! Yes of course I will." I choked out through the tears that were threatening to fall from my cheeks. He slid the ring onto my finger and kissed me fully.

I enjoyed an amazing dinner that night followed by a visit to the bar where we went out with my family. I thought I had everything I wanted but this was it. My family surrounding me celebrating my engagement. I smiled as we all clinked our champagne glasses together. It was an end of an era, a very happy ending. I knew those that had passed were smiling down at us happy. Everything was finally at peace.