The time was near

On the helicopter all Phil could hear was the propellers. Suddenly pain occurred to Phil and he didn't know what to do. He could feel the pain, it was pumping throughout his body.Through his veins. It was taking over. He could feel numerous tear's slide down his face, he had to quickly wipe it away before anyone would catch him crying.
I should cry, he thought to himself, She's my partner, my friend and I love her.

Before he knew it they had arrived at the hospital. His mind got flooded with horrible thoughts, what if she was dying or could she already be dead?

He and Fury stepped off the helicopter and entered the S.H.I.E.L.D. Hospital. To Phil's surprise the hospital was densely quiet. What would he say to her?

He was pulled out of his thoughts when he felt a tug on his arm. "Hey Phil, I'm sorry about Maria". He recognised that it was a female voice.

All Phil did was stand there staring at this blurred person as tears fell from Phil's eyes. He blinked hoping to clear the tears but frankly it didn't work. Before he could think he was being pulled into a hug.

"Phil she's going to be fine, honest". The person kissed his cheek and he shuddered. When Phil slowly pulled away he saw that is was Agent Romanoff. He was her and Agent Barton's handler, they were S.H.I.E.L.D.'s best agents.

This made him smile until he saw a large bandage wrapped around her forehead.
"Natasha what happened? Please tell me" Phil bit his lip holding back more tears.

"We were on a mission in Russia, we were looking for the Red Room. The mission was meant for me and Barton, but he decided to take a vacation so Maria volunteered. We got in a fight at my safe house. It was one of the old 'Black Widows', she had come back for me. I was unpacking in the safe house and Maria was bringing in our bags from the car it was all peaceful until I heard an almighty scream. I ran out to see what the noise was and there she was, she had stabbed Maria in the stomach and left her lying on the floor with a knife in her side. I went out to attack the spy but she managed to ran away before I could kill her. She left Maria on the floor in a pool off blood. We arrived this morning." By the time she finished Phil was full of emotion. Natasha held her hand out and Phil took it. He knew exactly where she was taking him.

They both walked into the room where Maria was being held, she looked so peaceful when she slept. There was a clipboard on the end of the bed which Phil picked up and read

" Agent Maria Hill, Injuries: Punctured lung, dislocated shoulder, mild concussion and a gash on her forehead." Phil turned and looked at Natasha she could feel his pain. He handed the clipboard to Natasha and she looked shocked.

"Natasha, if the spy didn't fight you then how come you have a bandage?". He looked at her concerned.

"Well Sir, that was a lie, I didn't want you to worry about me. After she attacked Maria we had a battle and lets just say we both did some damage".Silence engulfed the room, all you could hear was the beeps from the machines that Maria was hooked up to.

Phil woke up a while later, he wasn't too sure exactly how long it was. He was slumped on a chair near to Maria's bed, she was awake. He could see the confusion in her eye's, clearly the drugs were to blame for that.

She still looked peaceful even with all the bandages, cuts and the bruises. Phil stood up and went to stand over her Natasha clearly had to leave because she was no where to be seen.

It was just him and her like it always was, like they preferred it. He looked over her bruised and broken body. The expression on her face was blank it was only a small smile which Phil knew was forced. That's how she had always been, never showing her emotions to anyone.

That's the thing when you're an Agent, you're trained to never show emotions in work, but she never showed them in and out of work. They both stared into each others eyes, it felt like forever until Phil plucked up the courage to say.

"Maria, I'm so sor"- before he could finish his sentence Maria had pulled him in by his tie and they were kissing.