Chapter 36 - Phoebe

I frowned out of the window at the fields rolling by. Where was he taking me? I'd seen a sign saying welcome to Essex at some point which helped me orientate myself a bit but I was still so confused.

"You ok?" Elliott asked, squeezing my hand.

I glanced down at our interlocked fingers, "Yeah, just intrigued. Where are you taking me?"

"We're nearly there, just wait and see." He replied mysteriously.

I rolled my eyes and let out a small impatient huffing noise. Elliott chuckled and then after a minute whispered, "Look out of the window, we're here."

My head flew up, taking in the surroundings including a large sign welcoming us to Colchester Zoo. I felt the smile growing on my face, "The zoo?"

It was such a classic, such a normal date idea that I wanted to laugh. I was glad he had told me we might be doing a lot of walking now so I was dressed in my comfiest trainers rather than the heeled boots Cara had suggested.

As we pulled up, Elliott pulled out a baseball cap from the pocket of the seat in front of him and tugged it on and pulling it down low on his face.

I raised my eyebrows and grinned, "Does that ever actually work as a disguise?"

Elliott shrugged, looking more than a little embarrassed, "Sometimes. It's easier places like this. People so wrapped up in their own days out they're less likely to notice me."

I nodded, it made sense really. I probably passed hundreds of people a day but I doubted I could pick any of them out of a line up. We just had to hope there weren't any super fans out there today.

Stepping out of the car and onto the uneven ground of the car park I stumbled slightly, using the car to steady myself. Breathing in the cold morning air and reaching back into the car I grabbed my coat. Despite my long sleeve top and jumper I was still freezing.

The zoo was quiet as we approached. A Friday morning, in autumn, and during normal school hours meant that it had attracted an audience of couples with a day off work and mother's and father's with younger children.

"Here is your map and a list of feeding and talk times, we hope you enjoy your visit to Colchester Zoo." The distracted worker barely glanced at either of us and I was filled with hope that perhaps, this could work. Perhaps we could be together and do normal things.

Elliott wrapped an arm round my back, guiding me towards the turnstiles. "Are there any animals you really want to see?"

I stepped through and took in the sign directing to the different exhibits. "Wolves definitely....and the Africa bit. I love elephants."

"Your wish is my command." Elliott gave an exaggerated bow and gestured that I should follow him with a flourish of his arm.

I looked back over my shoulder as the two security guards who had come with us, following at a discreet distance. Or as discreet as two muscular men in dark glasses could be.

We reached the wolves first and my breath caught as one appeared out of the trees near the back and loped towards us. It came up almost alongside the glass we were standing against, intelligent eyes taking us in, before turning and heading up onto a wooden platform where it flopped down alongside another already there.

"Did you see that?" I squealed, flapping my hand at Elliott, "They're so beautiful."

I looked over at him when he didn't immediately reply and found him watching me and smiling. "What?"

"Nothing," his smile didn't drop, "I just love seeing you excited."

My insides flipped and my mind instantly thought of something a lot dirtier than I guessed he had intended. From his chuckle my thoughts were clearly displayed across my face. An open book my Nanna always said.