chapter three.

a doorstep that decides his future.

"looks a bit different, doesn't it? there's been some renovations."

itsuo stared up blankly at the outside of the probending arena. it glittered like it had been plastered with gold, which he supposed suited it. the sport seemed to be a shining beacon in the city's darkest times. he could only imagine how different the brothers' apartment now looked without his cleanly self around, yet most of all he found himself curious to see how the fire ferrets had changed. apparently the avatar herself had joined a few days ago.

"do you know if there's any job openings nearby? i'd like to help pay rent and all that."

bolin laughed at what he thought was a joke. it took him a moment to notice the determined glare in itsuo's amber eyes. "oh, wait, you're serious?"

"of course i am."

"no, no, no— i told you i would take care of you. you've been through enough."

"and you haven't?" itsuo snapped back. he traveled a bit further up the staircase and towards the entrance, before turning back to glare at bolin. "this isn't a one sided relationship. if you're my family like you say you are, then i'm going to going to help pay bills."

a wind from air temple island blew past them as they watched one another, realizations swarming in the probender's mind. it was tense for a moment, a brief moment that ended with bolin pointing up to the other boy sharply.

"fine, but once we're married it's gonna be just me working!"

itsuo spluttered, immediately raising a hand to cover his mouth as if it would hide the unnatural red that spread across his pale cheeks. he free hand grasped tightly at the strap of his bag, tugging at it as he felt his body warm up.

"th-that's–! no! that's not fair!"

"of course it is! it's called love!" bolin stepped closer.

"no, it's called me being lazy! if you work, i work!" another step.

"but i don't want you to work!" one more.

"you don't get to decide what—"

he cut itsuo off with another kiss, this one being filled with more desperation and a silent apology. unsaid words swarmed their minds, words that would never be said out loud and instead shown through actions. the fire nation boy hummed as the earthbender reached a hand up to cup the other's cheek.

it was just a petty argument, one amongst many to come. none of them would change how the two felt.

"i've really missed you," bolin sighed as they broke away. itsuo didn't have to respond. all he did was nod shortly, breathing deeply as he rest his head against the green eyed boy's collarbone briefly.

that day marked their final reunion, for they would never split apart again.