8. My world gets turned upside down, twice

Now it's my turn to be surprised. Who is this guy, and how does he know my father?

"Yes, I'm his daughter."

Kalen and Mara still seem to be frozen in shock, but it looks like they were both expecting this, and my answer was just the confirmation they needed. If I wasn't so confused myself, I would probably laugh at their dumbstruck faces. Their boss however has copied Mara and now has a smile that practically splits his face in half.

"So you are the famous Brianna! I'm so happy to finally meet you in person. Your father used to talk about you all the time. All good things don't worry," he laughs, like it was the funniest joke on the planet.

I, on the other hand, feel like I got punched in the stomach. This man knew my father, and my dad would talk about me to him? They must have been pretty close for dad to share information about his private life. He'd always been a very reserved man.

The boss seems to notice that what he said probably had a bigger impact on me than what he was expecting, because he quickly carries on before the tears that are gathering in my eyes threaten to spill down my cheeks.

"This must be a big shock for you, and even though we just met, you can trust us. We just want to help you. Mara here," he says, waving a hand towards her, "has been filling me in on today's events. It sounds to me like you had quite an intense afternoon. Now I understand why these two wanted me to meet you."

"I don't understand," I manage to squeak out, voice two octaves higher than what it normally sounds like.

"Well, for one, learning to manage your Gift will be much easier here. We have people that can help you."

"I don't have a Gift," I spit out, feeling like my knees are about to give out from under me.

But somewhere in the back of my mind I'm starting to doubt myself.

"Dear child, you are not Giftless," he says, eyes twinkling with the knowledge that I still don't possess. "Your Gift just started presenting itself much later than when a normal Gift usually does."

I'm sorry, what?

He laughs.

"I'm sorry to do this to you. I know you probably want answers right away, but I'm afraid I can't tell you everything at the moment."

Well why the heck not? He can't just expect me to nod and accept this when he has answers to the questions that have been plaguing me my entire life! Not when he just said he knew my father, like that was the most obvious fact in the world.

"But," I start to protest.

He lifts a hand to silence me.

"I won't take long. In the meantime, Kalen, Mara," he says, directing his attention to the young Elites, who seem to have finally gotten over their initial shock and stand at attention when their names are called. "Why don't you show Brianna to the barracks, I have a feeling she will be staying with us for a while."

He winks at me. Winks! And disappears through the sliding doors. My one chance at answers, gone. But wait. No it isn't.

I turn on Mara and Kalen like a whip, practically stepping on their toes as I advance on them. I probably look desperate, but I don't care.

"Explain," I grind out through clenched teeth, "or so help me I'll--"

"Brianna."

Mara puts a hand on my shoulder to calm me down, and she smiles when my crazed eyes meet hers, practically pleading with her as they start walking me out of the room. I remember her disgruntled expression back at the shack, and I feel like our positions have been reversed. Before, she was the one begging to help, because she felt responsible for me getting involved when they were after Simon Says, and now, I'm the one begging her to tell me what she knows. To give me the information that I so desperately need.

Brianna Acero and the Second One's ReturnOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara