7. When the Clock Stops Ticking and the Land is Covered in White

            There was no reason to stay in Oakdale or venture deeper in. Jane didn’t want to see the destruction or the skinless corpses of the people she used to go to school with. She did, however, feel inclined to visit her hometown. It was called Dodge, and it was only a few minutes down the street.

            There could still be survivors, she thought, making her way down the long road that led into town. Uncle Scott, Jessa… though I’m not sure I want them to meet Rin and Angelina, it’d still be nice to know they’re alive.

            Her two new companions sat in the backseat of the jeep, quiet and comfortable. Angelina was clothed now, though Jane’s wardrobe was a bit small, and Rin wore his coat. She hadn’t told them why they needed to stay covered—she wasn’t sure if she was right—but she knew that either Uncle Scott or the town library would hold some valuable information.

            She glanced at the rearview mirror. Angelina still glared at her while Rin in turn glared at Angelina. He’d definitely make a good henchman, Jane thought. Though, Jane wouldn’t necessarily consider herself leader material. Why was he still following her, anyway? Jane shook her head. She had no clue.

            She sighed and looked ahead of her. They were approaching the first houses of Dodge.

            If the people in Oakdale had died from third degree burns, then what would’ve happened to somebody twenty miles over? They’d be burnt, sure, but would they be skinless, too? It’d been a few hours since the bomb went off. The cashier had somehow held onto his life, and there was enough time left for Angelina to completely heal and make her way to the gas station. If there were survivors, they’d all be in pain, but the choppers that’d attacked her earlier would’ve most likely killed them.

            The Great White Brotherhood, Jane thought. They want all the normal humans dead so that the Aryans can rise, just like Hitler, except these Aryans actually have demigod abilities.

            Jane shivered. There were two Aryans in her backseat, and she was only a normal human. What would happen if they both turned against her? She’d have no way of defending herself.   But Rin would never allow that, she thought. No, I don’t think he ever would.

            Jane shoved the thought aside. There were more important things she could be thinking about.

            When they entered town, all the houses appeared undamaged save for a few shattered windows and turned over yard ornaments. It was a small town, and most of the homes were at least a hundred years old. Once again, she wondered if anybody had survived; though if anyone had, it would’ve been an Aryan.

            Jane approached the center of town, where the two main streets crossed.

            “Not a single hovercraft,” Rin muttered from the backseat. “How do you small people live like this?”

            Jane couldn’t help but smile. “This is Oldtown,” she said, glancing at Rin through the rearview mirror. “Downtown is right at the stoplight, and Newtown is mostly farther west, but there’re some newer houses to the east, too. That’s where all the rich people live, and they’re the ones with the hovercrafts.”

            Rin smirked as if amused.

            Jane took a right at the stoplight and entered the two-block area known as Downtown. It was incredibly old, built more like one of those Wild West towns with a German twist, and there was a little shop for everything. Uncle Scott’s garage was at the edge, and their house was right beside it.