[7]

Chapter 7

If I were being honest with myself, I'd admit that the idea of running off with Hunter, whom I've known for all of a day is extremely intimidating. I didn't trust people easily and though I believed what he'd said about following the man I killed, I was still wary of his motives. He's different from the rest of the guys I've come to know. It doesn't help that the only guy I've been alone with since before I can remember is Braces.

"I can carry that, you know," I say to him when we start our walk. He filled up the backpack with enough food to last the two of us a week. I figure it's the least I can do, carry the food, since he's helping me even though it won't earn him any brownie points with the rest of the group.

Specifically, Braces. He'll be furious when he wakes up in the morning. Not that I blame him, I would be equally upset if I woke up and found him gone, but I'm not worried about that. Braces is far too considerate—too careful to ever do anything so reckless. That's my job. His eyes were on me all evening, searching for any indication of what I planned to do. He knows me so well, well enough to know that I gave in way too easily. It was Hunter who was able to easily get supplies while everyone was distracted.

He also offered to take first watch, something I pretended to argue against to put Braces's mind at peace so that he could go to sleep thinking I gave in on any rescue Atlas plan. I waited until they were all asleep and left Braces a note letting him know that should be back in a week. Maybe two.

"I don't mind," he says smiling.  I'm certain he's grinning because I can see the moonlight reflecting off his teeth.

"Why do you do that?" I ask.

"Do what?"

"Smile so much. Laugh."

It wasn't like Pickle or Hawk, who made everything into a joke. I can tell Hunter isn't juvenile in his smiles and laughter and if what he confide in me is true, he isn't just naïve either. So, I'm having trouble figuring it out. 

To prove my point, he laughs.

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Um," I clear my throat, surprised by his question and then gesture at the obvious state of the world. "End of the world. People eating each other. No toilet paper. Lack of food."

He chuckles again, shaking his head.

"You rate no toilet paper above no food," he confirms sounding very amused.

"When you accidently wipe with some poisonous plant and have your ass itch like crazy, you'll understand."

Hunter's expression turns horrified so quickly that it almost has me smiling and we fall into silence as we walk. It's sort of nice. The night, that it, not being with Hunter. His company is just something I have to deal with. But I guess it's maybe nicer than a walk with Braces would be. He's a talker. I love him, but he doesn't enjoy the peace and quiet. And if he were with me now he would be going on and on about what a bad idea this is. Hunter doesn't do that.

I don't even think he believes this rescue mission is an altogether horrible idea. Hunter is a person who spent days tracking down the man that killed his people. We have that in common, I think, the need to protect or avenge. So I think he understands better than some why I need to get Atlas back, why I can't fail him.

"Why does it bother you?" he asks sometime later, breaking the silence. "The smiling and laughing."

"It's just so constant," I try to explain without adding offense. "I don't understand how you do it. Not after everything that's happened to you."