Chapter 20 - Part II

"We're about to head north. As soon as we get in town." Mannie tried to keep his voice calm and confident for her sake.

Jess nodded, staring at the darkness. She noticed her thumb and pulled it self-consciously away from her mouth.

The fire seemed to be south of Roswell. But as Mannie drove out from between the red ridges and across the Pecos River, the sky grew darker, until it felt more like evening than midday.

"That feels close," Jess said. "Do you think it's in town?"

Mannie shook his head. "Don't know." They passed a pretty, white Victorian farmhouse framed by trees and a picket fence. "Shame to see that go up in smoke."

There were no signs of flames, but the smoky haze had gotten thicker. Mannie put the air on circulate and thumbed the air conditioner. Rubi sealed up pretty well; as long as it didn't get too bad, they would be fine. He gently increased the pressure on the accelerator.

"I don't need to see the Alien museum," Jess was panicking like a cornered cat.

Mannie needed to distract her. The way her hand clawed at the door handle, he wouldn't be surprised if she jumped out of the moving vehicle and ran back the way they came. "Jess, you know how to use a gun?"

She took her eyes off the fire to roll them at him. "I live in Texas."

"After we get some place safe we ought to get you something you're comfortable with." Farmer's supply places, empty storefronts and industrial buildings flashed by.

"To protect me from what?" The fear flooded back into her face.

Hell. Wrong tangent. "I don't know. Not that I'm expecting— You know. Not a lot of cops, so..."

"So, cougars? Zombies? Rapists? Shit like that?" Her voice had gone reedy and high. Her eyes spun back to the fire. "Mannie, shouldn't you slow down?"

Mannie glanced at the speedometer. Approaching 70 and they were entering Roswell. "Shit. Maybe." He released the accelerator a bit. "Guess I'm nervous about the fire, too."

Jess released the door handle. Her hands clenched and unclenched. "I'm not nervous. I'm freaked. Had a burn once in the back forty. My jacket caught on fire. Daddy threw me down and got it out."

"Yeah." Mannie had seen plenty worse. "This isn't all that bad, we haven't seen flames yet." He slowed; the smoke rose in a plume due west.

"You're sure it's safe driving into that?"

"I'm pretty sure we can outrun the fire in this rig. I got plenty of fuel." It was two hours back to Brownsville, the last major crossroads, and then hours of extra driving.

"Fuel and fire," she squeaked, "don't exactly mix well. Mannie, I'm scared. Really."

"Jess. I've been in tighter spots than this. Trust me. I am going to get us to Salt Lake and Lizzie. It's a little brush fire. No real trees to burn." He patted her knee. "Chin up. We'll make it." He smiled at her, but her eyes focused ahead.

Mannie turned back to the road. In the darkness ahead was a red glow; fire had swallowed the road. "Hell." He let off the gas and braked. "Not this way."

He spun the Jeep around and headed back. "Don't really want to head into the mountains. Let's see if we can get around it, okay, Jess?"

She nodded. Her hand hovered near her mouth.

"Gonna try to get to 285." Mannie tapped the GPS, driving slow. He turned onto North Grand street. It dead ended in a few blocks. The fire had engulfed the center of town. He pulled off into the dusty dirt and head across the railroad tracks.

"Is this a good idea?" Her eyes scanned. Her head swiveled, trying to see in every direction.

"We need to get north of the fire and hit 285." Rubi bounced across the old railroad tracks. Don't pop a tire here, Mannie.

He drove onto 10th street. There was smoke ahead, but he didn't see fire. Mannie pulled onto Main. "I think this is 285." The column of smoke to the south had grown. Jess' hands were in her lap, clasped together. Her eyes were closed.

María, madre de Dios. Keep us safe. Praying was becoming a regular habit. The smoke diminished. As he drove through it, a smaller, darker plume rose straight ahead to the west.

Keep your eyes closed, Jess. He continued, accelerating back to highway speed. The wind whipped the jeep. No wonder the fire was spreading. Let me get past it.

The smoke and open flames were jumping across the prairie brush. Tomorrow this would all be black. He pushed the accelerator to the floor.

Mannie looked over at Jess. Her eyes were open again, her body rigid. She stared at the flames ahead.

He glanced in the rear-view mirror. What had only been smoke was now open flame racing upward as the town caught fire. Don't look back. Straight ahead.

Too late. Jess turned to see the flames. "Mannie?" her voice reached a high fevered pitch. "We can't go back?"

"No." Mannie focused on the road ahead, still only smoke, but a black wall of smoke floated toward the road on a river of fire. Jess' hand clenched on his arm. "We're gonna be fine. Come on, Rubi." His hands gripped the wheel. Panic does no good. He breathed.

Jess' eyes closed again and her lips moved. No sound came out. A gust of wind tugged at the Jeep, but he kept it straight ahead, racing the conflagration. How long could it take? He'd hit 111 and Rubi wasn't going any faster.