Topic II: Dreams Past

Hysterical laughter emerged from Dale's mouth, followed by a blanket of silence that suffocated the interrogation room.

"You're fucking with me aren't 'ya? No, you must be."

His face was changing expressions quicker than an Ethiopian chasing after a chicken. Maze was a name that struck fear into the body of anyone- Satan incarnate.

"Dale."

"Noooo, this... you can't be serious."

He started walking up and down the room, inhaling and exhaling with each step, teeth clenched, soul strained.

"Dale, calm down. You're a hot mess."

His steps paused. He turned his head towards me like a ravenous ghoul, and inched closer, except this time with the intent to kill on his face.

"Don't you fucking tell me what to do!"

...

"You clearly don't learn from your past Eldan! Maze is a goddamn lunatic! You nearly got killed last time you saw him, and now you want to do the same shit over again?"

...

"What about Joyce, huh Eldan? Have you thought about what she were to do if involved in all of this?"

"Don't Dale. Just don't."

"Have you even considered anyone else's feelings but your own? No case that the mighty Eldan Goodman can't handle! Take your head out of your ass for once!"

Rage built up inside me, and needed to be expelled in its purest form; emotion.

"And do what Dale! Do fucking what! If I put her in protection, people will die. If I don't, the outcome is still the same goddammit!"

Dale became silent. After all, there's no point trying to fight fire with fire. Fighting wouldn't be of any use to us; Maze probably expected this to happen. The fucker was sick in the head.  "What would you do in my situation?"

"She was your wife Eldan."

"She WAS. That's the difference."

I walked over to the door and turned the knob. Chimes from rotary phones and multiple voices shattered a room that was once filled with silence and tension. "We can discuss this matter later. For now, we need to tell Cap the current sitrep."

"No need."

Dale nodded. I turned around and Cap stood behind me with an irked look on his face.

"I swear to god, I thought you two might ought to get a divorce someday."

Good 'ol Cap. Balding, weighed 230 pounds and wore brown pants so tight you'd think he's a nancy, but that still doesn't mean he won't whoop your ass if he needs to. To be fair, the pants do go well with his cream top and suspenders; not my personal preference though.

"Cap," said with a chuckle, astounded by his presence, "We've got a matter we need to discuss."

"So I heard." We all started walking towards the investigation board, which was just around the corner; front doors opposite.

"What do we have?" Cap said whilst rolling up his sleeves.

Dale gave his report. "Allen and Ruby Vincent. Aged twenty-eight; couple was known to cause a bit of a fuss in the building."

"Cause of death?"

"Both suffered severe lacerations to the neck, resulting in major blood loss. Palms were also pierced with kitchen knives."

"Holy shit." muttered Cap.

I gave him a quick glance. "My words exactly."

"We think we know who done it."