Chapter One: Positively True

Positive. 

That was what she said right? Or at least that was what she thought she heard. Aesia wasn’t exactly present. In fact, she was unmistakenly tired. The previous night had been spent babysitting her two-year-old niece, who woke up three times in the middle of the night. So it was safe to say she currently was not a functioning human being. 

“I’m sorry? I didn’t quite hear you.” She said while gesturing to the invisible wind. It was windy out and so she used that- and the fact that there was a large amount of space between the doctor and herself as an excuse.

The doctor nodded her head, understandingly. 
“Sure. I said your test came back positive.”

Yeah, it still stung, like a bee sticking its stinger into someone’s skin. It hurt like h*ll. Aesia felt the air get sucked out of her body as she looked at the brunette standing in front of her. She was parked in the number four slot, the same amount of time it took for her results to come back. 

In the span of a minute she recounted every encounter she had, there was the lady coughing in her arm at the store, and there was a man who had sneezed without covering his mouth, but she stayed away from those people- hadn’t she? Yeah, she did, right? She walked in the opposite direction for both situations. Did their particles run towards her, pulling on the last shreds of normalcy that she was clinging to? Did they in a matter of seconds reach into her body and place an unwanted gift upon her?

“Ma’am?” Doctor- Shannon was it? Nah it was Cassandra, right. Dr. Cassandra was still standing in front of her, six feet away.

Aesia blinked, with every tap of her eyelids she returned to her car which was still running. Burning the gas money she could not replace. She nodded before saying, “Okay.”

What else was she supposed to say? 

“Alright well you can drive over to the front and they will give you your paperwork.” She said quickly while pointing in the direction towards the line of people waiting.

Aesia nodded- the action seemingly natural now. She reversed and drove to the entrance of the hospital. She was in shock, kinda there but not. She unlocked her phone after parking the car and opened her messaging app. She clicked on her best friend’s name pausing briefly before closing it again.

No, she did not want her to flip, she just wanted to be in the moment before everything became real. To have the last ounce of normalcy, to curl up in it and find warmth. To breathe before everyone hated her for doing so. She hopped out of the car and grabbed the paperwork and mask from the nurse waiting for her.

She smiled though she couldn’t see, she returned to her awaiting vehicle and slipped in. She closed the door and glanced at the paper. At the very top, it read,

Date: April 15th, 2020 11:49 AM
Name: Aesia Xeris Bourne 
Sex: F
Birthdate: October 6th, 2000 (19 years)
Hospital: Daniels Emergency Care
Test: Positive Covid-19

Of course, out of all the people in the world, out of all the countries that existed, out of all the states that were quarantined, out of all the towns that were open, out of all the residents in her city, she had the d*mn virus.
______________

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by and reading my newest book!

Vote, comment, share if you would like.

Love y'all
Lee
God Bless