Reunion

The day was just like every other day. It was hot and humid. The City factories were all in operation and the skies were dark. Amelie, having reached the age of emancipation, finally was able to take control of her life. It was a small victory but she celebrated nonetheless. She went out and explored the rotting City. The residential area for the powerful and wealthy was grand and yet hollow. The business area which was in the middle of the low class residences was thriving and noisy. The skyscrapers were towering each other like stone giants struggling for supremacy. Further out where she dare not yet go to was the area for the homeless, where the City labourers and thugs live together in small and filthy part of the City. Further still was her paradise. A place she dare not mention to anyone for fear of it being taken from her just like her brothers and sister.

The small smile that was on her face was now replaced by sadness. The corner of her lips curved downward and her eyes began to water. She shook her head and muttered the promise she made to Alistair, Tristan and Mari. "I will be strong and I will remember," she whispered. The gloom that had settled in her heart did not immediately go away. It did not help that she saw little children begging by the streets of the City, crying for a little mercy from the people that passes by. She couldn't be of help to them just yet for to venture into their world takes courage and strength which she didn't have at the moment.  She was vulnerable which meant she was weak by the City standards and she would be eaten whole by them if she wasn't careful.

She was walking blindly along a paved road just at the edge of her residential villa when she bumped into someone. The girl she bumped into was probably in a hurry for it continued on without looking back or asking for an apology. Amelie stared at the back of the girl that was almost running now. When she was about to leave, something caught her eye. The girl dropped something.

It looked like it was a shell tied to a thin strip of rope.

Heart suddenly skipped a bit. She paled visibly from under the searing heat of the City temperature. Her breathing came in gasps and it felt like she was having an anxiety attack. She calmed herself enough to pick it up and inspect it closer. She can't be mistaken. This belonged, belongs, to Alistair. She turned around to look for the girl but she was already gone. She held the shell close to her heart.

"Alistair," she whispered remembering clearly his face, the way he tried to hide all his emotions from them. A fond smile appeared on her lovely little face. "But, who was that?" she asks frowning now and looking on the general direction where the girl had disappeared.

There was a shout and then a familiar scowling face was hurrying down the road towards her. She didn't breathe, couldn't breathe as Alistair passed her by. He looked really angry. His dark well-shaped brows were drawn ominously towards the center and his dark eyes made even darker by his anger.

He stopped. Amelie's wide eyes focused on the back of Alistair as he straightened. He was so tall. He was always tall, thought Amelie.

"Alistair," she says whispering his name when she was finally able to breathe, when she finally recovered from seeing a long lost brother.

Alistair slowly turned towards the voice that whispered his name. It was only when he was facing her, looking down into her wide eyes that he knew she was real. She was really in front of him. She was smiling now. There was nervousness in his eyes. Maybe, she also doubted his presence. Maybe, she was thinking that he was just an apparition made by all these years of loneliness. "Amelie." He stepped closer towards her and enveloped him in his arms.

Amelie hugged back tightly. He was real. He was really there. He called her name. "Alistair, it is you! Oh, Alistair!" Amelie cried like she never cried before. She was overflowing with happiness as she sobbed her heart out.