18th birthday.

*Edited by : Aayushi.

Averine's POV.

Averine (Pronounced as "Eyveereen" )
<<>>
Tonight is my 18th birthday and tonight I will be officially announced engaged to Landon Thomas- the son of our ruler and the next in line to be crowned king to our sacred world where creatures like us reside, creatures feared, creatures different from humans in the other side of our world. We look like them, we dress and talk like them but we don't have the same human DNA.

I don't know why the counsel or whoever chose me seeing that I don't have royalty blood running in me, I just belong to the average of our kind. See, in our world, we have different social status like between rich and poor amongst the humans. In our world we only belong to the regular ones. Rumors say that I was chosen by Landon Thomas himself, I wonder why? To the best of my knowledge he never associated himself with the lower ranks, let alone choose an average Jane to be his wife. Of course I was not happy about it, how could I be? I am being forced into this and I can't say no. In our kingdom, we strictly follow the law, we abide by the ones above us in position for our own sake and safety, at least that's how it was projected to us. We bow down to our rulers and we never go against them but if we do we have certain punishments to face much like how laws are implemented outside our world.

Although our Kingdom, our world is set under the world of humans, we have our human lives up there too, like regular people and we are scattered across the continents, we go through our life like normal people do, as close to normal as we can get. We coexsist with other supernatural creatures too, Witches, werewolves and we tolerate each other but we are not allowed to be associated with any of them unless needed, depending on the circumstances.We are free to live a life in the human world but once we are called to get down here for whatever reason, we must come at once. And mind you, there are only chosen ones who could live in the world of humans. Not everyone is given that chance, I mean it depends on the motive but most of us prefer to stick around here like my mom for one.

My life in the human world is so different with life down here. I go to school there, I have human friends and I live the way normal humans live their lives but of course I'm careful enough to seal my true identity.  It's the number one law, never in any way reveal what we are in the eyes of a human. I'm practically fine and contented being in that world, it's as if it has been my true home except for my mom who is adamant to stay here and not leave.

"Avieeeeeeeee" ... Mom yells from downstairs, sounding like she's the one getting into this shit rather than me.

"Coming mom!!" I gave one last look at myself in my full view mirror with a fake smile plastered on my face. Honestly right now, I wish I'd just disappear. But then again I am a law abiding citizen here and I won't risk my parents along with myself be punished if I resist.

I rush as I was at ease with my reflection to see my mom and my dad standing in the hall, formally dressed and with a quick glance at my dad, I'm sure he had the look that says he is  just as reluctant about this as me, which is the opposite reaction of my beloved mother who's very excited about it. See, she always wanted to be in line with royalty blood so you can just imagine how happy she was knowing about the proposal from the son of the ruler. She's like this frustrated wannabe queen and takes that frustration on her daughter. It has been her dream before she met my father, to be a part of the royal prestigious elite family.

"You look wonderful darling! That red long gown matches your beauty perfectly! come on now, we should get going. We have to be punctual. Now remember Avie, watch your posture, you are not going to a human party, watch your language & don't slouch!" She gushed as she quickly pushes my shoulders up straight correcting my posture. She has always been this way so I'm kind of used to it by now.

Along the way I couldn't help but think that it's my death sentence night not my debut.

"Smile." Mother dearest commands and I plaster her a big pretentious one to please her and not ruin her giddy mood.

We arrived at the Manor and many vamps had already crowded the function hall of the oh-so-big palace. As I walk inside I was greeted by the high ranking officials and was escorted by Landon who was wearing quite an impressive tux which would have any girl drooling over him yet, didn't make my skin shiver, or any kind of attraction per se. Not my type to be honest. He was charming in the eyes of the ladies, young and old and he was no doubt gorgeous but it wasn't enough to make me swoon like the rest of them do.

"You look extremely gorgeous my lady. When I first laid my eyes on you, I knew it was you who I needed to be with."  He whispered as we took our designated chairs in front of the crowd and I didn't give him a response to make a statement of rebellion.

The program had began and announcements were made and all the formalities crap and before I know, I'm wearing an antique diamond ring with little carvings around it symbolizing my engagement to our future ruler. "Yay I'm totally digging my own grave! How fun is that!" I thought to myself.

I never spoke a word to anyone, it's my sign of showing that I don't like this, a kind of unwanted thing towards them and the crap they've handed me. Soon I was led to the dance floor for a traditional dance even if I had to endure the looks of fury, jealousy around I had to do what I was made to do.

"You never gave me a word nor have you looked my way Avie. I have chosen you to be my lady and you should be lucky I did. Look around you, all these girls would instantly get down on their knees to be in your place but you... you take this differently." His tone was calm but I could easily detect the coldness lacing his words, it was as if he was sarcastic.

So rumors are not rumors after all. This bloke did choose me to be his wife. How pathetic. For as far as I am concerned, I have only seen him once before and forgot him as soon as he was away from  my sight. No attraction whatsoever. I wonder what ladies see in him? Sure he's good looking in that sense but his well known arrogance and  rudeness  shadows those killer looks and yet ladies dig him.

Coming out of my interenal conversation I realized it was about time I spoke so I looked at him straight in the eye, disgusted with the way he looks & disgusted with his ego, his demeanor, his dominance.

"Then you should have chosen one of them instead of me, I certainly will never be like them. I take it differently simply because I don't even want this, I was forced into this. It's not like I can say NO, right?" I said it as calmly yet as sacastically as I could with a slight smile to add insult to it.

I could feel his grip on my waist tighten and his eyes went  totally black like the devil himself. He was offended of course. If anything, it just made my determination stronger. I pledged that I will not cower and be like a baby and run, I will face this, face him and I will give him hell if that's what it takes to make him see that  I'm not going to give up my life to him without a fight.

"There is nothing you can do now, the ring on your finger marks you mine and only mine. You are to live another year in the human world you are fascinated about but you'll come back here and do your duties as my wife. You can't say no. I chose you, remember. You will want me, you will respect me and you will love me whether you like it or not." He fired back with the same tone of coldness yet calm and it's as if he was being more like challenges instead of angered.

"You don't scare me. You only know my name and my face but you don't know what I can do Landon. You'll see, you'll regret choosing me and NO, I WILL NEVER LOVE YOU!"  I say harshly, not backing down, not showing any emotion but coldness.

"We'll see about that little Aviee, trust me I am way more than you peg me to be behind the status I have, behind what you see that I choose to show. You won't regret it, you just need time to understand I'm not playing games here." He gave me a wicked smile and as if on cue, the music had ended.

This night is the worst night ever.

The news broke out and there goes the fake regards and fake well wishes as we leave.