Chapter 2

I wake to my phone ringing 'hey brother' by Avicii. I roll over and pick it up.

"Hello? Skye? Hurry up I don't have all day!" It's my aunt.

"Uh, hi."

"Now this is just a call to say I hope you're settling in and we are shipping your car over tomorrow." And to think I thought that she might actually care. I sigh, standing up and flattening my hair in the mirror.

"Oh."

"Don't you take that tone with me young lady! We provided for you for two years after your parents went and got themselves killed because of you!" Tears build up in my eyes but I quickly brush them away. I decide I won't stand for her manipulation anymore.

"Oh really! You weren't just doing it for the fame, the glory of taking in a orphaned track star, and you never provided for me, never fully, you never loved me, it was all for the money and the fame! Wasn't it?" I rage at her.

"Oh you want to go there do you? Well how's this, it's all your fault! Everything is your fault! They died because of you! And your going to die soon too! And when you do, you'll be all alone you ignorant bitch!" By now we were yelling.

"It was all my fault? My fault? Your a stuck up bitch and you know it! Go find someone else to rant about! I never want to hear your voice again!" I scream. I hang up the phone. Tears streaming down my face. Suddenly I feel conscious of the fact that probably everyone in the house heard our conversation. I grab a tissue and wipe under my eyes and blow my nose. Thankfully I don't wear makeup.

I sit down on my bed. Maybe it really was all my fault, maybe if I'd just given up they'd still be alive today.

KNOCK KNOCK

I go over and open my door for whoever is banging on it. I open it to see Jake.

"Uh, hey, I heard you yelling, I wanted to check if your alright." He looks at me.

"No not really, I was talking to my aunt, she said my parents death was all my fault and-" Jake cut me off.

"Stop, stop right there because that isn't true, none of it was ever your fault, it was the fault of the drunk driver. You have no reason to believe that." I stare at him, thankful that someone supports me.

"Thank you." Jake sits down on my bed and hugs me. Like a brother really, at least I think, I've never had a brother, but if I did get the little brother I almost had, it would feel like this.

"Now tell me, are you ever going to make a comeback?" His question catches me off guard.

"Uh, I dunno. I tried some small weight lifting about a week ago and that went fine but I'm scared to try again." Jake looks at me again before speaking.

"Never be afraid to do what you love, no matter how many obstacles are in your way, you are strong enough to find a way around them." He stares into my eyes. "I may have known you for less than two hours but your already my sister, and I'm going to find a way for you to make it back to worlds."

"No no, but I can't ask your family to do that, and everyone else! They can't know and-" he cut me off again.

"You and I will train separately, I'm a rugby player, I know how to train, and we'll ask mum to get anything you need, she'll help, any doctors, medication, gadgets, gear, trainers, coaches, we'll find it for you, because you Skye are going to race again." And with that he gets up and leaves my room. Dazed I get up and make myself presentable for dinner.

I may have a second chance. And I'm loving it.

***

I pad my way down the stairs and into the dining room, everyone else just seems to be trotting downstairs at this time. I quickly see a seat labeled 'Skye' and take a seat. The table slowly fills up with the members of my new family. As dinner is brought out, Jason, who is seated across from me starts talking.

"Hey Skye? Have you ever thought of making a comeback?" He says. I nearly choke on my food before answering.

"Not really, I got myself diagnosed with asthma, so running is difficult, but not impossible." I reply.

"Oh, ok then." Normal chatter seems to resume across the table. When everyone is finished eating they seem to migrate to the lounge room. I take a seat on the couch.

"Move it, your in my seat." I look up to see a glaring Logan. Part of me wants to move but before I know it I'm spouting sarcastic lines at him.

"Are you gonna make me?" I reply.

"I might." He whispers seductively.

"Bite me." He looks taken aback for a moment before sitting on the other couch, he glares daggers at me.

I'm brought back to reality by Jake asking if he can see Emily and me privately. I leap at the chance and follow him out to the kitchen. We reach the counter and Emily looks throughly confused.

"What's the matter? What's this about?" Jake sighs before looking at me.

"Skye wants to make a comeback." Emily gasps before hugging me.

"Are you sure darling?" I nod.

"I'm absolutely sure, they only thing is, I'd need a lot to get there, and I don't want to ask you for all that but Jake said to so-"

"Darling I have too much money to know what to do with, of course, anything, tell me what you need and I'll have it posted express by tomorrow so you can get started on training, now I'm sure by the way you pulled me aside you don't want the others knowing?" I nod. "Ok, just tell me what you need."

"Well, I know it's near impossible, but I set myself a goal, in six months I want to compete at the June 2015 Worlds, and I have to train, I need a doctor who can help me with the asthma, I would need a trainer, a coach who I trust to get me there, and I'd need several types of monitoring gadgets that I can use while running, to monitor my respiratory breath intake. And it'll be difficult, but I think I can do it."

"Ok, I'll order it tonight and you can start training tomorrow, I'll also get you a sport puffer, for when your training, I'll have it by tomorrow, and I'll research trainers, doctors and coaches and get back to you later." I nod and hug her.

"Thankyou so much." She smiles and runs off to the computer to start ordering.

"Now go and get a goodnight sleep, I'll get someone to unpack for you tomorrow but you and I are training all day so be ready." I nod and follow everyone upstairs to my room. I quickly change and fall asleep.

For the first time in two years, I had a goal. And I was damn happy about it.

***************

Hey guys, hopefully my writing is improving, ideas and feedback are welcome! Please comment! If you want to be in the story message me on my wall and tell me a bit about yourself and I'll work you in somewhere! I'm hoping to update more as the weeks go on but it's rather difficult seeing as I don't have access to a computer and I have certain curfews for my tablet!

Thanks again, those few who will read this,
-b06711

*if you want me to do chapter challenges please comment!