Kitten

"What's the use of a cat when you don't have mice?"

"No Sherlock, a kitten. When I'm not around, then you have something there to keep you company."

"Nonsense John, you're always around."

"I'm getting a job Sherlock, so I won't be."

Sherlock dropped his tea cup. "Very well. At the hospital?" he asked calmly. There was no indication of his shock besides the dropped tea cup.

John sighed and began the clean up. "Yes, I need to make an income somehow. That's why I thought a companion would be fitting."

"Must we?"

"Yes Sherlock. Getting a pet is a normal thing. I already asked Mrs. Hudson. She's willing to feed it when I'm not able to. You won't have to take care of it."

"Fine."

........

That was how they got a small spotted kitten. Of course Sherlock wasn't going to make this easy for John in anyway.

"We are absolutely not calling it Spot!"

"Why not Sherlock? It's cute!"

"Because it's so mainstream, so boring! Let's call it death!"

"Why?"

"Then when people come in, we can say death is coming!"

"That's a horrible idea Sherlock. I still think spot is better."

They called her Murder. Sherlock had black mailed John into it.

.......

"The thing is wretched. It turned my favourite curtain to shreds!"

"Sherlock, who even has a favourite curtain? You've never mentioned it before. In fact I believe it was you who insulted it last week."

There was a loud grumble before a violin started playing. The cat looked up innocently at John, and he just couldn't help but pet it.

The violin stopped suddenly. "Don't encourage it John."

"Her name is Murder as you well know."

The violin started playing again.

.....

The kitten's name had of course caused some trouble on the way as well.

Sherlock pointed to the window aggressively. "There's a Murderer!"

On the windowsill sat Murder. John sighed. "I know you despise Murder but-"

"No, the Murderer from the case! He's outside!"

"I beg your pardon?"

........

Sherlock pretended to hate Murder whenever John was around. In truth, Sherlock enjoyed a good murder whether it be a case, or a cat.

Twice John had caught Sherlock asleep on the couch with Murder in his arms. John had found a pack of cat treats, almost empty in Sherlock's room when he dropped something off. Of course John had never mentioned it. Sherlock would just hide them better then.

When John had gotten home from a shorter shift, he'd even caught Sherlock using the cat treats to teach Murder tricks.

Sherlock had muttered, "drop dead." Murder had fallen with a thunk.

Another time he'd been talking about a case, and John had incredulously said, "a bullet wound to the chest?"

Murder, who had been on the table suddenly got up, walked backwards on her back paws and held her front paws to her chest. Then she dramatically fell. John did not miss Sherlock giving her a piece of chicken when he thought no one was looking.

.

.