what's important

19th May, year 3

'For the hundredth time today, Jaskier. You can't get up yet.'

Geralt was sitting on the bard's bed, looking at him with tired eyes. He's been working at nights to keep their funds on an acceptable level and taking care of the recovering man during the days. Even for the witcher it was a tough work and Jaskier saw how tiring it is for Geralt and he just couldn't accept the fact that his constant attempts of helping were actually even more exhausting.

The bard was better now, but his arms and legs were still hurting when he tried to move. In fact, he could hardly make it to the bathroom and back - especially considering the fact that he had to go upstairs.
The pleasant part was Geralt having to carry and bathe him.

'I'm bored! I want to go out or at least play some music!'
'Virgil said you can't until next week... if you don't want to have terrible scars and maybe get stuck in bed for some more time.'
The bard was slowly giving up.
'Fine. But! There is one thing I need!'
'Hmm?'
'I need you to let me braid you hair!'
The bard smirked, looking at Geralt.
'Jaskier, for fuck's sake...'
'This or I'm going out and you will have to deal with me being like this longer.'
'How do you know I don't just leave you here?'
'Because I am the most brilliant person you'll ever get to meet of course.'

The witcher couldn't agree more, even though he was not going to admit it out loud.
Sure, Jaskier was cynical, annoying and quite narcistic from time to time, but Geralt loved him with all his flaws.

So the witcher sat at the bed, careful not to harm the bard. Jaskier smiled and began to braid his companion's hair.

With every passing second, the man was more and impatient. He should be working now, trying to make enough money to pay off the medic, get a meal at the tavern and buy Jaskier some beer or anything else that would make his day a bit better. On the other hand, he began to relax under the bard's touch, nearly forgetting about the unpleasant feeling of the hands playing with his hair.
'I should get going. We are short on money anyway, I can't afford to wait another day with the job.'
'Will you tell me about it when you come back?'
'There is nothing to tell about.'
'For you. You have lived like this for years. For me, nearly every day of your life is something fascinating. You are like a living ballad, my dear. Like a human piece of art.'

Jaskier's eyes were shiny as he looked at Geralt. That was when he made a decision. What is the worst that could happen? He can always say he was a bit high from the medicine Virgil gave him, right?
Coming to the conclusion that he can in fact do that if something goes wrong, the bard leaned in and kissed Geralt.
The witcher was completely stiff for a few seconds, paralised with shock. Soon, he relaxed and embraced his arms around Jaskier's waist, careful not to hurt him since he was still recovering. The bard melted into the other man's arms, feeling the warmth of his body.
The kiss didn't last long, just enough for Jaskier to completely give up the rest of his heart that he somehow kept unoccupied for three years.

'I need to go now.' - said Geralt, getting up as quickly as he could. What they just did was not right. A witcher should never have such feelings towards someone, especially someone who couldn't defend himself from all the monsters Geralt had to face. And yet, all he wanted was to stay at the bard's side and tell him how much he loved him - even though he didn't know the words he could possibly use to express it.
'So... Will you tell me anything when you come back?'
'Hmm... Perhaps, if that's so important to you.'

That was enough for Jaskier to smile.

21.06.2020, 687 words