9 - Camp

When I lifted my head from my chest, it pounded with pain. My arms were throbbing, and when I looked down I was horrified to see that my arm sheaths were gone, each replaced with a bloodied bite of a wolf.

I tried to pull myself up with a groan, but tight ropes around my arms and waist prevented me. I let out a small sob as the ropes rubbed against the new wounds in my arms. I shivered. I was still dripping with freezing river water, and I had no idea where I was.

"Macey! Oh thank god, I didn't think you were going to wake up." A familiar voice called to me from my right.

"Edmund?" My eyes struggled to focus on him, tied to a tree about a yard away from me. "Where are we?"

Edmund looked down and bit his lip. "The White Witch's camp. I'm... I'm so sorry Mae. I wish I could..." He trailed off as a flurry of white stepped between us. The White Witch herself smiled down at me. I scowled back.

"Glad to see the little princess is awake. Come. Let's discuss." She turned and began walking to the tent she had emerged from. I rolled my eyes and cleared my throat, causing her to turn around.

"Forgetting something?" I nodded to the ropes tying me to the tree. The Witch rolled her eyes and lifted a hand, to which a terrifyingly large bull creature came forward and cut my ropes. With my dagger! "Hey!" I cried out. The minotaur, which I was able to identify, snatched my arms and yanked me to my feet. I collapsed as a searing pain ran through my head and arms.

The minotaur grunted and resorted to dragging me to the tent, my legs fumbling underneath me to attempt at standing.

"Don't hurt her! Stop! Don't touch her!" Ed screamed as I was brought towards the small canopy. I weakly turned back to see an ugly-looking dwarf hit him with a staff, silencing him and cutting his lip.

"Leave him alone!" I sneered, pulling at the minotaur's grip. I couldn't see his response, as he and Edmund were hidden by a fabric flap falling in front of them. A glacially cold hand gripped my cheeks, ripping my attention to the woman in front of me.

"You have been with the others, haven't you? You're a little queen yourself, after all." I kept a dark look trained on her face, unflinching. She sneered and brought my face closer. "Edmund mentioned Aslan. Is it true? Is the great cat building an army against me?"

I remained silent. The Witch growled and stood.

"Answer me!" Her voice thundered. I opened my mouth, causing her to return to her seat and lean forward, anticipating my words. I closed my mouth and spit in her face. The Witch flew backward, standing again quickly and this time striking me. I felt her nail slice my skin, opening a small cut above my eye.

"Take her away. I'll deal with her later." She snarled. The minotaur returned me to the tree and replaced the ropes securing me to it, this time tighter. I scowled at him as he twirled my dagger in front of me, taunting me with it. Sharp pain in the back of my head made me break eye contact to clench my eyes shut and lower my head. The beast chuckled in victory and stalked off.

"I'm so sorry," Edmund whispered, now with a busted lip, across from me. "It's all my fault. I was tempted, I fell into her trap. I...I should have listened to you."

The sting in my head didn't allow me to look at him for long, but I tried to stay facing his general direction with my eyes clenched. "Aslan... will... come." I choked out. I could hear Edmund lean closer.

"Do you really believe that, Mae?" He asked. I nodded softly, regretting it quickly as my head swam. We fell into silence. Wrenching my eyes open, I noticed it was now dark. Fires scattered along the camp. I opened my eyes further, fighting against unconsciousness, which pulled at me. My daggers were lying on a table a few feet away from me. If I could just get there... A cyclops passed me, bumping my leg. I jolted against the tree, my open wounds colliding with the bark. I let out a cry of pain and collapsed, then slowly sank into a merciful sleep.