Chapter 3 - The King's Letter

Malia

I woke up early and started gathering my stuff together. I had to hurry before that man showed up again to finish the fight he had tried to start. I had most of the things in a bag when I grabbed something silky. I stopped and stared at it. I remember when I first got it, I had tried it on and twirled around in front of the mirror, giggling.

Sonyin stood to the side, smiling an approving smile. She was my aunt and an excellent mother figure. She found the silver silk and had it made into a dress. It had been my favorite.It had been hard to fing me a dress I enjoyed because I had been so spoiled and would only wear the finest fabrics. This slik had cost a fortune and now it was in tatters. Why? I made the mistake of wearing it the day Sovijaka thought I would look better in brown scales. I would have had it fixed, but dragons happen to be a few sizes bigger than most humans.

I was brought back to the present by a shout, "Hello! I have a message for you from the king!" Did I really just hear that? My father and I didn't keep in touch for a few reasons. For one there isn't a postal service for over-sized winged lizards and for some reason my father found it embarrassing that his eldest daughter was a dragon. I guess it isn't something he likes to brag about to other kings.

"My daughter recently signed a treaty and we started a profitable trading route." "Really? My daughter has wings, scales, and breaths fire!"

I poke my head outside and was shocked to see the messenger was the same man from yesterday whom I decided was the only reasonable soldier in the army. "I saw you yesterday!" I cried. The man seemed startled, "Really? You noticed me?" I nodded, "How could I not? Everyone else was too busy hiding and crying for their mother's."

The man laughed. He bowed and introduced himself, "My names Colbax. I already know your Malia. After the battle the king wrote a message and asked if a man was brave enough to take it to you. He also requested the volunteer refrained from killing you and I figured it was an easy thing to do." Colbax handed me the message and stepped off to the side. I laid down and started reading.

Dragon, the first word filled me with anger. Dragon! They all called me that! Does anyone remember that I was a human being with a NAME?! My father was even the one to come up with Malia and suggest it to my mother! Maybe I should change it to make it easier on them!

I calmed myself down because Colbax could sense my anger and looked a little uncomfortable. I don't blame him. After all, dragons don't do well around delicate and flammable things. The rest of the letter read,

I realized that you have held back your violent impulses and have taken them out on our enemies. I see that you feel you are doing us a favor, but I must ask you to stop. Your presence has unsettled our men. We had the situation under control and your interference has made us look weak. Next time you hear the alarm bells stay peacefully in your cave.

King Yolio of Heskar.

Anger boiled through me once again. How dare he! I am definitely helping! Everyone in this entire kingdom could see that we were losing terribly! If our enemies think we're weak it's because our men were crying in fear while I was kicking... um... tail! I was totally just about to say tail!

I marched into my cave and snatched up a pencil and some paper. Then I grabbed more paper because my claws ripped the first piece. I settled down and prepared to write an angry letter with some words that might or might not be substituted with tail. Whoa, calm down Malia, I told myself, After all he is your father and the king. I took a few deep breaths and wrote a less emotional response (and yes, I made sure to substitute the words I was thinking of with words like tail). Inside something told me I didn't want this letter to be mean. Sometimes I get feelings like that and it's been happening more often.

Dear Father,

I got your letter and I strongly disagree. Just because I am no longer human it does not mean that I can't still help the kingdom. Especially in protecting it. I thought the men could use my help and acted accordingly. If we are attacked I refuse to sit back and watch. I hope you understand.

Sincerely Your Daughter Malia

I sent it off with Colbax and a few days later he came back with another letter. This time his face was grim. The letter was not from father.

Dragon,

King Yolio of Heskar has been assassinated. We highly suspect the Seqans. I will be taking his place as king since I am his brother and only heir.

King Rether of Heskar

Rether was my uncle and was a little jealous of my father. I doubted he was jealous enough to kill and I expected the Seqans as well. My father was always distant and in a way had even disowned me after my run in with Sovijaka. I started crying. I had no idea I cared that much about my father, but I couldn't believe he was gone.

I ran out of the cave, flew over Colbax's head, and ended up who-knows-where. "Oh! Why?! Why Lord?! I didn't even like him and now I'm crying my eyes out! Lord I know you have great plans, but why so much pain?! Why me?!" I yelled this prayer at the sun and cried teardrops the size of horses. I spent a few days morning. Finally, I had to do the hard part. Finally, I had to except his death the best I could and move on. I thought the Lord hadn't answered my prayer, but I soon realized the Lord answers in strange ways and sometimes you see what his plan was years down the line.