~Chapter 9~

The word was a sword through my heart.  Dad tried to argue, but Reverend Dave had made up his mind.  All I could do was just…cry.  I felt like I had been run over by a truck.  I was broken.  The entire foundation of my life had been ripped out from under me.  Mackenzie gets a two week suspension.  Mackenzie, the one who came after me, lied to my friends, and did drugs, gets a two week suspension.  While me, Freya, the innocent Christian girl who gets straight A’s, is the president of her class, never got into trouble in my life, gets expelled.  Expelled. 

           At ten forty, I hobbled back upstairs.  My backpack was brought down to the front office for me, but I still needed to empty my locker and get my lunchbox out of homeroom.  My knee still hurt, my eyes were burning from tears−I was an absolute mess.  Yet, I managed to limp up to my locker.  Mom offered to come with me, but I told her and Dad to just wait for me downstairs.  I’d rather just do this alone.  When I finally got there, it didn’t take me long to empty my locker.  It’s not like I had to waste any time un-taping any of my pictures.  My textbooks were to be returned to the front office.  All I had to do was pack up my notebooks.  Mackenzie smashed my green mirror too, so that I didn’t have either. 

           I tried to compose myself before staggering into homeroom.  My class was in there for English, but I’m sure that none of them were able to focus after what they had witness anyway.  Now, I was dizzy.  This isn’t happening.  This isn’t happening.  I opened the door to homeroom with caution.  I didn’t want to disturb their lesson, but everyone stared.  Mr. Basil had stopped teaching, and grown silent to stare with them.  I looked out over the small sea of people; some who I’ve known for a year or two, some who were at my table in kindergarten.  I’m going to miss them all so much. Please, someone tell me that this is just a joke.    

           Somberly, I went over to the shelves on the left side of the room where we kept our lunches.  I picked out my yellow lunchbox and put the strap over my shoulder.  I turned to leave, fighting back tears the best I could.  Before I opened the door, I looked at my class one last time and waved.

            “Bye guys…”

            All at once, thirty-three people got up from their seats and rushed over to me.  Ginger hugged me and started crying.  Jana did the same.  Hayden, Jasmine, even some of the guys got teary-eyed.  They all knew.  Somehow, they all knew that I was out of here for good.  Even Mr. Basil came over and hugged me.  He said “I can’t believe this is happening…it’s fair and it’s not.  Don’t to the crime if you can’t do the time.  But you don’t deserve this Freya.”   They all said things like “We love you Frey-Frey!” and “We’ll miss you!”  Some people even said “We’ll fight for you!  We’ll get you back here!” I’ll admit that it was a nice gesture, but an impossible dream.    

           After standing there for ten minutes hugging and crying with everyone, I figured that Mom and Dad would be getting impatient.  “I have to get going.”  I told them.  But they disagreed.  Jana said “Let us go with you.”  Mr. Basil stayed behind, and all thirty-three of my classmates walked through the school, to the main office with me.  Mom and Dad looked just as surprised as I was when they saw the whole class with me.  My body had begun to shake again.  I felt like there was no way I’d make it out that front door.  I couldn’t do it.  My whole self wasn’t going to handle it. 

           I said my goodbyes one last time.  My parents escorted me out the front door and I stepped out into the sunlight of a sixty-degree day.  The sun may have been shining, but I was having the darkest day of my life.  Each step we took towards the car became more and more difficult.  It wasn’t just the pain in my knee holding me back, but my body kept telling me not to go any further.  Mom and Dad we almost at the point of dragging me forward.  I couldn’t breathe.  No!  I’m not expelled!  I’m not!  I’m not!  This isn’t happening to me…Now; I would tell you what happened once I got to the car, the problem is, I didn’t make it to the car.