The truth

"Why did you do it?", Jay asks in the interrogation room. "I already told you! I didn't do it. Rafael was my friend. I mean yeah, I have done some shitty stuff in the past but I could never kill someone. Especially no kid. I really liked that kid", Marcos responds. "Is that so?", Hailey says. "Do you also want to say that you didn't have anything to do with the tons of drugs we found in their house?". Marcos hesitates. "Rafael lost his job. He had to pay for a family and the rent. He didn't find a place so I got him a job. He just had to store it. I picked it up and gave it to the other dealers. But nobody knew about him. I swear!", Marcos insures. "Did Rafael possess a gun?", Jay asks. "Yeah. I got him one. I mean it's never 100% safe". "What kind of cartridges?", Jay wants to know. "19mm". "That matches", Hailey whispers. "Ey look, I rarely even was in their house. I didn't even know where he hosted the stuff", Marcos tries to talk himself out. "I thought you were close friends. Why haven't you been inside?", Hailey asks. "Raf didn't want his son to notice anything. And also, they always had that neighbour boy over. He didn't want him to get between as well so we did it in the garden". "Excuse me, did you say that the neighbour boy was at their house a lot?", Jay asks. "Oh yeah like every time I came. I think he and Manuel were best friends". "That's interesting", Hayley says and tips on Jay's shoulder to tell him they should get outside the room for a second.
"Do you think it was him?", she asks. "I don't know. He seems honest. But why would the Rodrigezes lie about their son?", Jay says. "Yeah. Marcos may tell the truth. I think we should visit the Rodrigezes again", Hailey responds. "I think so too", Jay agrees.

Before they get out of the car Hailey gets a call. "Hello?", she says. "Oh yeah, sure... No problem... Bye". Hailey hangs up looking a bit sad. "Are you alright? Who was that?", Jay asks. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just my mum. She cancelled the date". "That sucks", Jay says compassionately. "Whatever, let's go", Hailey says shaking off her disappointment.

They ring the doorbell. The daughter opens the door. "Hey you", Hailey says. "We are from the police. Are your parents there?". "Mommy is. She's in the shower. Daddy's not", the girl says. "Can we come in and wait for your mum?", Jay asks. "I think so", the girl says and lets Jay and Hailey in. they sit down on the couch. "I'm Hailey. This is my partner Jay. What's your name?", Hailey asks. "Camila", the girl says. "That's a pretty name", Jay says. A door opens and Camila's brother comes out of a room. "Hello... Diego right", Jay says. The boy just nods and climbs on Camila's lab. "Are you here because of Manuel?", Diego asks shyly. "Yes, unfortunately we are. The two of you were great friends, right?", Hailey says. "Did you figure it out?", he quietly asks back. "What do you mean?", Jay wants to know. Camila just shrugs. "It wasn't on purpose. I didn't know it was a real one", Diego says looking at the floor.

Jay and Hailey just like Camila look at him with a shocked face. Before they can say anything, another door opens and Mrs. Rodrigez comes out. Her face turns to shock when she sees Jay and Hailey. "Oh, hello detectives. Camila get Diego out of here", she says. Shocked Camila takes Diego on her arms and goes with him in another room. "What can I do for you?", Mrs. Rodrigez asks. "Mam, your son just told us something. He did something", Jay starts. Mrs. Rodrigez just breaks down in tears. "He's just a little boy", she starts. "he found the gun in the bathroom and thought it was a fake one to play with. He didn't know. It wasn't his intention. They were so close". While she's talking Hailey grabs Jay's hand. "You're saying he killed Manuel? What about the parents?", Jay asks squeezing Hailey's hand softly. "I was about to pick him up. I heard the shot. I ran inside. There he was with the gun in his hand. He didn't even know what just happened. Rafael was about to hit him. I just I... I took the gun and I just... I shot them. I didn't even think in that moment. I just wanted to protect my son. He's my boy", Mrs. Rodrigez says still crying. Hailey goes over to her and hugs her. "He's just a little boy. He didn't mean for any of that to happen. Please can you say that it was me? All of it? I need to protect him I love him so much". "Whatever you say in court. We don't know anything Diego did", Hailey says squeezing Mrs. Rodrigez's hand looking at Jay who just nods. They hear the front door open and Mr. Rodrigez enters the house with some groceries. His first look falls at his devastated wife and he drops his bags. "What did you do?", he says running up to her. "It's over Guillermo. I told them everything. I'm sorry". "What? No, it was me! I killed them. All of them. Please don't take my wife!". "Guillermo, don't. Please. They need you! Promise me to take care of Camila and Diego". I will my love", Mr. Rodrigez says. "Do you want to say goodbye to your kids?", Jay asks. "Yeah, just give me a second", Mrs. Rodrigez says and opens the room where Camila and Diego stayed. She knees down to them. "Hey, mommy is going to go now and she'll be gone for a little time". "Why mommy?", Diego asks. "Mommy did something really bad and now she has to pay for it. You can come visit me and daddy will take good care of you. I want you to know that I love you okay? Whatever happens, I need you to remember that. I will always love you. You are everything that makes me proud and you have so great lifes ahead of you. I love you. I love you. I love you", Mrs. Rodrigez says giving Camila and Diego a huge hug. "I love you too mommy", Diego says. Hailey wipes away a tear she just lost. Jay already called out for a patrol to pick up Mrs. Rodrigez. "Mrs. Rodrigez, I need to handcuff you now and you have to come outside with us now", Jay tells her. "I'm coming", she says giving her husband one last kiss. Jay and Hailey bring Mrs. Rodrigez out and before she gets in the patrol car, she tuns around again. "You are really good cops. I'm very thankful", she says. "Thank you, Mrs. Rodrigez", Hailey says.

Back in the car Jay and Hailey take a deepbreath. "Are you okay?", Jay asks and takes Hailey's hand. "Yeah, I'm fine.It's just... I don't know. This whole case. We were looking for a felon and nowwe have a four-year-old boy and his mom", she says. "Actually, we only have themom", Jay corrects her. "Yeah, a mom that is probably going to jail for therest of her life because she protected her son", Hailey says sad. "Hey, she didkill two people. She just took the fault for one", Jay says squeezing Hailey'shand. "But it wouldn't have happened if Diego didn't...". "Hey, look at me! Diegodidn't know what he was doing and when you love someone you're willing to doanything for them", Jay says turning Hailey's head so she looks at him. Haileytakes turns looking into his eyes and at his lips. He does the same. They bothlean in and get closer...