Twisting the knife

Kie's POV

The Autumn trees lining the road, slowly losing their leaves. The damp roads are still slick after the storm from the night before. I can hear the echoing sound of sparrows chirping, in the morning sun. And petit droplets are gradually falling from the sun lit leaves. JJ slowly reaches for my hand as we walk down an autumn road. My heart flutters and I reach for his. I look up at him and admire his face, his beautiful golden locks, his ocean blue eyes. I'm in love.

We reach JJ's house and he looks down at me then places his lips on my forehead, he kisses me goodbye. "See you soon Kie," JJ whispers.

I continue to walk down the street taking in every aspect of this beautiful morning, the colours, the birds, the morning due on the tips of the grass, the jet black SUV heading straight for me. Wait what. The SUV continues to cruise closer and closer to me, slowing its speed at a rapid pace. My brain is telling me to remain calm but my heart and my sense of self preservation is saying, RUN! The car stops right in front of me and without giving me a chance to react to this situation, I stand there, like a complete idiot, thoroughly exposed to shock.

The eerie windows wind open. There is a gun aiming directly at my forehead. My hands begin to sweat and my knees start to tremble with fear. And before I could make out the two men's faces, bang.

I wake up in a completely unfamiliar place. Concrete walls and flooring, an entirely empty hall with stone pillars every 10 meters. The room is vast and open with no colour or sense of light. No windows or means for escape. I'm sitting in a cold, metal chair with my hands and feet tied to its edges. The light bulbs are musty and rusted, giving the room a yellow hue. Suddenly I hear voices coming from the end of the hall.

"That was pretty smart. Shooting her with a sleeping toxin," a man says proudly. I can make out 2 blurry figures walking towards me.

"Sleeping toxic?" I murmur to myself. Suddenly a lightbulb turns on inside my head. The gun! It didn't have bullets, it had sleeping darts! I must be still under the influence of the drug because my eyesight is still corrupted. The two men are dressed as shadows, they're wearing all black and are quite built in strength. They are now a meter in front of me but I still can't make out their faces.

"Grab her phone," one of the men said, there was something familiar about these voices. One of them takes a few steps forward and looks me dead in the eye.

"Topper," I mutter
"Yeah that's right sweetheart, now I'm gonna need your phone," Topper grabs my waist violently and feels around my body for my phone.
"Wh-what are you doing?" I struggle to make out the words.
The man behind Topper pipes up and says impatiently "We know about the gold, Kie. And we know that the compass is a clue to finding the gold. We're using you to get to JJ. We also know that JJ is the only one who knows where the compass is. We won't wait around for you or your little boyfriend to steal it before we do."

Topper feels around in my jeans and finds my phone. "Gotcha, here you go Rafe."
An alarm goes off in my brain "Rafe. Of course," I mutter again, not having the strength to speak strongly.

Rafe opens my phone and goes to the recently called section. JJ was at the top of that list.
"Well then let's test his loyalty, 400 million or you," Rafe says aragently
A sudden burst of strength appears in my chest "NO, don't do that to him!"
"Shut up, Pougue," Topper says.

Rafe dials JJ and places the speaker against his ear.
"Hi Kie, what's up."
"This is Rafe talking."
"Why do you have Kiara's phone Rafe?" JJ starts to panic a little.
"We have Kiara in a building you'll never find without our help, and we want the compass. You have 1 hour to bring it to us."
"I need proof, put Kiara on the phone!"
Rafe hands the phone to me and puts it on my shoulder, then gives Topper a specific look, as if to say, 'do it now.' Topper pulls a knife out of the back pocket. And in one swift movement he pierces my leg with his blade. I scream in agony, I can feel the cool blade scraping against my muscles and I can see blood pouring down my leg.
"Is that proof enough for you," Rafe grins. "You have 1 hour, your time starts now," Topper twists the knife and I scream again, signalling JJ to hurry.

Rafe hangs up and looks at me with his dark and unpredictable eyes.
"Settle in honey, you're about to have a very bad day."

JJ's POV (1 hour and 15 minutes later);

I'm driving down an unfamiliar road with sweaty palms, and a strong desire to kill Rafe. I suddenly hit a dirt road leading to what seems like nowhere with the compass on the wind shield. I have a pit in my stomach and my brain is going to dark places, just imagining the pain Kie must be going through. Along the horizon I can see a sort of warehouse and I immediately press down on the gas. It seems in every direction is clear land, no one around for miles.

I pull up to an abandoned warehouse with concrete walls, graffiti tags line the perimeter of this building and the door is nailed shut from the inside. I can see a mysterious black SUV sitting outside the building. This is the place.

I swing the car door wide open, grab the compass and sprint for the wooden door. I place my ear on the entrance and can hear Kie screaming for help. I can make out 2 voices, obviously Rafe but who is the other? "Is that Topper?" I think to myself. Then I hear a loud bag that resembles the crash of metal and concrete.

I smash my fists against the door and yell "STOP! I'M HERE! DON'T HURT HER!" His voice softens, "I'm here." I can hear 2 sets of feet striding towards the door and one by one they pull the barricades off the door. Then Rafe answers.
"Did you bring it?"
"Yes. Now let her go." I say with panic.
"You were late, so we left a little more than we planned," Rafe grins.
Reluctantly I hand Rafe and Topper the compass and they run off to their car. In the distance of the warehouse I can see Kiara, her head is down, and defeated. I run over to her. I can smell the metallic, sickening smell of blood. And I can see the love of my life on the ground tied to a chair. Kie is lying in a pool of blood and she has bruises on her cheeks, down her neck, her arms, her chest. I run around behind her and untie the tightly done up knots to free her bloody hands.

I untie her feet to free her completely from the chair and look at her bruised, unconscious face. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault. What did they do to you?" I whisper, "if I had just run that little bit faster, or drove quicker, you wouldn't be here right now." I burst into tears, "I love you Kie. And this is all my fault."

I place my hand under her back and under her knees and pick her up. Cradling her in my arms.