5.

THE SANDLOT !CHAPTER FIVE

THE SANDLOT !
CHAPTER FIVE

the inter-squad game was officially over.

it was now dusk, the sun leaving the horizon a gradient of bronze orange and sangria red as a parting gift after a day of clear blue skies. the large crowd was dwindling, the onlookers chattering amongst themselves as they left seido's fields. twisting the water faucet on, he scrubbed his hands clean before doing the same with his face. there was dirt everywhere, on the crevices of his nose and mouth and katsu knew it was in his scalp too. for once he was glad of his mom shoving skincare products into his bag.

"man! i wanted to play more." sawamura shouts to make his presence known, loudly stomping towards the handwashing area. "aren't you tired?" it wouldn't be a surprise if there wasn't a limit to his seemingly endless energy. meanwhile, katsu's legs felt like jello from all the running he did in the early innings. he was literally shaking on his feet, just like a newborn doe learning how to walk. "of course not! man, i wish you weren't switched out when i was placed on the mound." the brunet sulks, "lucky toujou." a startled giggle leaves his lips at his bluntness, though it left him warm inside.

sawamura eijun was truly something else.

"well, i'm going to go shower now! see you tomorrow." sawamura waves as he marches down the trail that leads to the dormitory, a little skip in his steps. "good night 'wamura."

katsu was also disappointed that they didn't get to play together, but there would be plenty of opportunities in the near future. after all, they both got placed into the second string. alongside with a pink-haired boy who declared himself as a pinch hitter, wowing everyone when he easily smacked an outside ball with his wooden bat.

second-string..... he wonders if practice would be any different tomorrow.

----

it wasn't any different.

katsu was growing used to the constant prickles of numbness that shot up his calves as he runs with the other first years. "what.. you're not happy to be in the second string?" the lilting voice of kominato haruichi reaches his ears, and he curiously peeks over his shoulder to watch the other two. "of course i'm not happy!" seeing the tire trailing behind the brunet was enough to make him laugh, though he'd give sawamura kudos for his unwavering determination to get better.

wistfully pondering to himself, his eyes slowly trail down to the blank spot on sawamura's back. how long till he sees the number one there? maybe it was just him, but his performance and presence during the inter-squad game made him worthy of a true ace. but, how would he know? katsu shakes away his clouded thoughts, pushing himself to match his friend's swift pace. once he catches up, the brunet turns his head in confusion before brightening up when they make eye contact. "WAHAHA DO YOU WANT TO RACE KATSU BOY?"