Part 6

Once Annihilus was locked up safely in the Milano's onbaord holding facility, the Guardians gathered on Santa's lawn. All around them, his remaining elf security forces were putting out fires and tending to the wounded.

"So I guess we saved Christmas," Peter said, resting his hands on his holstered blasters.

"Christmas?" Gamora asked.

"I'll explain it later," Peter said.

"You're all dressed up for it," Santa said to Drax with a wink. "With your red and green skin—"

"Do not wink at me, old man," Drax said. "I saw that my name was on your naughty list."

"Mine too," Rocket said, advancing toward Santa.

"All of our names were," Peter said. "Except for Groot's."

Santa reached into his bag, which he'd retrieved from his mansion. "Well, ah, you kids have been quite naughty this past year. Peter stole something called an 'Infinity Gem.' Drax, well, what didn't Drax do this year? I could go on, but there's much work here to do. Christmas is less than a month away." Santa produced a shiny, red bulb from his bag and handed it to Rocket. "Here, this is for Groot. For being a good tree this year."

"What is supposed to do with this?" Rocket asked.

"I think Peter knows what to do with it," Santa said with another wink.

Onboard the Milano, the Guardians prepared for takeoff. Gamora stared at the red ornament, dangling from one of baby Groot's twig arms. "You ready, Groot?"

Groot smiled. Peter put another of his tapes into his tapedeck, a tape he'd snatched out of Santa's living room sound system after they'd captured Annihilus. He hesitated to say "stolen," because he had every intention of returning it. Someday. He pressed play, and a familiar song began to stream over the Milano's speakers. Peter smiled.

Baby Groot smiled too, and began dancing to the beat.

"What in the name of Galactus is that noise?" Rocket asked, buckling himself into the co-pilot's seat.

"That," Peter said, "is 'Last Christmas' by Wham."

"I am Grooooooooooooot."

"No, I'm not saying that," Rocket said.

"What did he say?" Peter asked.

Rocket sighed, and repeated Groot's words. "He said, 'Merry Grootmas to all, and to all a good night.'"