Chapter Four, Eva

I hate younger brothers. They’re best when they’re in their toddler years, then they get bratty and annoying. After that, they start to get into fights. Then they think they are smarter than you and even start to get interested in girls. And then at this age, it is everything I previously stated all together. So when Lucifer asks me if he can join the student council, I am not delighted in the least. I know he’s after Gypsy, and thinks he can do so because he’s “so good-looking and smart.” Yeah, sure.

“Why are you so angry? You’ve always been telling me to join the student council.” This is his argument.

“I’m angry because you seem to think everything will go your way. You only joined to be with Gypsy,” I tell him.

Lucifer rolls his eyes. “I won’t say that isn’t true, but it’s not fully correct either. Red is going to join, isn’t he? I just thought it would be nice if I did, too.”

Instead of being angrier, something comes over me and I begin to laugh. “You think like a little kid, Lucy.”

“Shut up!”

Suddenly, the loudspeaker above us announces: “Attention: There is a meeting now involving the student council. It will be located at the principal’s office. Thank you.”

“NO! THE BROCCOLI!” I shout, and grovel on the floor until Lucifer pulls me back up.

“Why are you so depressed about broccoli? I hate those wannabe trees.” he asks me. He clearly does not understand.

“You don’t seem to understand a future housewife’s intuition. Always go for sales.” I don’t actually intend on becoming a housewife.

Lucifer shakes his head as if he feels sorry for me. “When are you going to be a housewife, I wonder? If it’s more of a scary thing, I’d understand, but you do not fit under the category of a housewife.”

I cannot believe Lucifer could say such offensive words. Or was he trying to be funny? “Why don’t you become a housewife, then?” He laughs, so my joke got to him, but he doesn’t understand that I was partly serious. He, still laughing, takes my hand as we head for the principal’s office.

Aside from the entertainment seeing Lucifer and Gypsy’s definition of flirting, the meeting itself is the same crap over and over. Why don’t we have any new council members? Because there aren’t many smart people in this school. Why don’t we have enough funds for trips? Because everyone here is an idiot and won’t spend the funds wisely. It’s stuff like this that angers me the most.

<><><> 

Reaching our apartment, I see Red sitting there with two plastic bags in his hands. He looks up at us. I take a closer look at him, and his shirt is torn, his jeans are dirty, and his hair is more scruffy-looking than usual. My internal sigh of relief goes away completely and I kneel down to Red, handing Lucifer the bags of broccoli and forcing him inside. I sit next to Red on the floor.

He laughs dryly. “Housewives are more frightening and violent than I thought.”

“You’re an idiot.” Actually, I didn’t expect to say this myself.

Red’s eyes widen, and he looks at me as if I said something out of his dialect. “Why am I an idiot? You should thank me.”

“Sorry. I am grateful, but for some reason, seeing you like that, I just said it. Blame my mouth.” I don’t even really know what I’m saying.

He smiles. “Alright. I blame Eva’s wonderful mouth, then.”

“What?” Did he just say wonderful?

“I was being sarcastic.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Yeah. Kinda.” Before I’m able to question him on what he means, he stands up and the moment is gone. I get the door open, even with all the shaking of my hand. I wish this shaking would stop already. “Can I sleep over again?” he asks. Now I am just startled by the sound of his voice.

Turning to him with a fake smile, I say, “Yeah. Whatever you like. We’re having leftovers for dinner tonight. Is that alright with you?”

“Anything you cook, or have cooked, is perfectly fine with me, Eva. It’s fine.” But he doesn’t turn to me when he speaks.

After dinner, I begin studying random things, even though it feels awkward with Red in my room. Not being able to concentrate, I kick him out into the living room. I hear his cries even from my own room. A half-hour passes, and I want to take a break from studying, so I join Red in the living room. He’s surfing the channels until he reaches a movie that takes the both of us closer to the screen.

“YOU WATCHED THIS?” Red asks me loudly.

With much excitement, I reply, “OF COURSE, WHO HASN’T SEEN THE MATRIX?”

The Matrix is my number one favorite movie. It is one of the best movies ever created. I am a study bug, but this movie will get me glued to the television screen every time.

“Oh, man, this movie is so good,” Red says.

“Thank you, finally someone who thinks like me.”

“No, thank you.”

A really long time passes, and we’re at the part where Keanu Reeves is dodging bullets, and so Red and I try to imitate his movements. If Lucifer walked in on us, he’d think we’re fanatics.

When the movie is over, I feel quite disoriented. That movie is so exciting, but whenever it ends, I am a mess. Red takes a look at me and seems like he wants to mock me. He bends down and lifts me up princess-style instead. I’m looking at him wanting to make him let me down, but I’m noticing that he’s really handsome. He has long eyelashes along with his seemingly transparent hazel eyes, and straight lips that can smile broadly. His long hair, I envy, because it’s that nice shade of brown that looks like black. His hands are big and comfortable. And while I’m thinking this, I feel myself falling asleep.

<><><> 

There’s been an anxious feeling in me ever since I went to bed yesterday. It is partly about my suspicions regarding Gypsy and Lucifer, but partly about the mystery that is named Red. Although I am bothered by it, my body doesn’t seem to obey my mind, as I woke up earlier than I usually did, and I left for school in ten minutes.

I didn’t bother checking to see if Lucifer had already left, and didn’t think about him at all, but when I see Red by the pond next to the school, seemingly talking to ducks, I become too anxious to pay him any heed.

But he notices me instantly. “Eva! You won’t believe this. I think I’ve become a duck whisperer.”

So I have no choice but to turn and talk to him. “That is probably the most boring and unnecessary thing you have ever said to me.”

“Huh? Then what do you want me to say?”

Instead of replying, I take a closer look at him. I cannot not believe my eyes. Here, in ten degrees weather, in front of a pond with ducks is Red, a boy who is most likely not right in the head. He’s wearing shades, a long, thin black sweater, and black Vans. I march toward him. “What is wrong with you?” He also seems out of breath for some reason.

“Hm? What do you mean? We watched The Matrix last night, but I didn’t have the right coat or boots, so this was the best I could come up with. Cool, huh?”

“No, not that! Why aren’t you freezing to death? Are you alright?”

“Why wouldn’t I be? Oh, you mean my sweater? I don’t get too cold until it gets zero degrees or lower.”

I shake my head and walk into the building, Peter following. “The more and more I get to know you, the more I think you aren’t human.”

“Well, from you, I’ll take that as a compliment.”

~~
I bet this sucks now but it should get better