Trigger: Chapter 5

Ayden stood at the window with his back to me. He leaned against the glass, looking out at the town below. Rubbing my eyes sleepily, I sat up and stretched.

“Sleep well?” he asked, though he didn’t really sound interested.

I nodded as if he could see me.

“Yeah, fine.”

Turning to look at me, his face seemed strangely serious.

“Do you remember waking up when we got back?”

I stopped to think for a moment. The memory was there but vague. I must have only been awake for a few moments.

“Yeah, a little,” I nodded.

Staring at Ayden I realized what I really wanted was to go to the bathroom and finish waking up. Considering he apparently always woke up early, looking at his generally perfect appearance first thing in the morning made me feel self conscious of my own looks.

“Why?”

“Do you remember what you said when I asked you what you were looking at?” he asked quietly.

I thought back. Concentrating, I tried to remember without success. I remembered him asking but I don’t remember giving an answer. I shook my head.

“Nope, I can’t remember. What did I say?”

He paused a moment.

“Nothing. I couldn’t hear you either,” he replied before looking back out the window. “I suppose we should lay low for a little bit.”

“You mean we’re stuck here?” I groaned, letting myself slump back on the bed.

“Aw, come on. I can’t be that bad,” he whined with a smirk. “I’m sure we’ll find some way to occupy ourselves,” he suggested with a wink as he leaned against the windowsill. I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever, I’m going to go get dressed.”

He dropped his eyes from mine, looking down towards the sheets I was wrapped in.

“You’re not dressed?” he asked eagerly.

“I just meant that I needed to brush my teeth and stuff,” I clarified. His expression turned disappointed.

“I could change that,” he stated simply.

I pushed myself off the bed and walked to the bathroom.

“Be right back,” I mumbled, ignoring his comment. Why did he have to be like that all the time?

I splashed cold water over my face, looking at my reflection to see if the redness in my cheeks had diminished at all. It still burned brightly through the glossy water. Cupping my hands under the faucet, I gave it another shot until my color finally returned to its natural tint.

I ran my fingers through my hair, shaking it lightly. Twirling a few strands tightly around my fingers, I managed to make a few makeshift curls. It wasn’t much better, but it was the best I could do.

Trailing my fingers down to my neck, I noticed that the bruise was almost completely gone. Now instead of a deep purple it turned into a pale yellow.

Sighing, I glanced around for what else I could find. A sealed toothbrush poked out a cup at the edge of the sink. Ripping the thin plastic off, I scrubbed my teeth thoroughly.  

Once content with my appearance, I walked back out into the main room. Ayden made the bed and now sat, one knee pulled up and the other outstretched, in the center. He folded one hand behind his head as he leaned against the backboard and gripped the remote in the other.