44

Alice

"Momma," Logan says running to Kathy's side as soon as Nick opens the room door.

"Hello, son." She smiles weakly kissing the small boy's forehead. She always sounded so professional.

"How are you feeling?" Nick asks pouring her a cup of water and handing it to her.

"Could be better. Nicholas thank you for keeping an eye on Logan. Thank you." She says and I see tears glittering in her emotionless grey eyes.

"Of course you know how much I care for Logan and it wasn't just me it was Alice too... but I need to ask you something." Nick hesitates on the last part and I grab his hand to show him I'm here.

He looks down at me and I nod for him to continue.

"Why didn't you tell me I was Logan's Godfather," Nick says and Kathy looks down at Logan running her hand through his small blonde curls.

"I was going to wait until you got out of your parent's house. At the time it felt right to wait but seeing the circumstances I can tell you already found out. Now, are you saying you don't want to be Logan's godfather Nicholas?" She asks professionally.

"I do. I'm honored, thank you." Nick says wrapping his arm around my waist with the widest smile.

"Anything we could do for you, Ms. Larsen?" I ask helping Logan off her hospital bed when she winces because Logan was bouncing around.

"Dear please call me Kathy. And thank you for the offer but I'm fine. Just tired." She says leaning back and closing her eyes.

Logan grabs my hand and Nick quickly fluffs Kathy's pillow.

"Mommy you will be ok, ok," Logan says more like a demand.

"My boy I'll be fine. I love you, honey, now be a good kid and do what your godfather says." She smiles softly and Logan looks up at us confused.

"But I thought it was fairy godfather?" Logan looks more confused than ever and I can't help but laugh.

"Come on Logan it's 5 in the morning you need to get back to sleep," I say picking him up and walking to the couch in the hospital room as Nick continues to talk to Kathy.

Logan leans his head on my chest and snuggles closer before getting comfortable.

"I'm not tired." He pouts and I sigh. I pick up a book from the rack and open it. I begin to read Logan the children's story.

~~

It's quiet for a while as Nick sits beside me holding Logan as I tiredly read them the story. We were going to be here for a while and it was better to stay distracted.

Kathy fell asleep but kept going in and out of consciousness. Doctors came back in every few minutes to check her IV and the number on the screen next to her bed.

"Potty," Logan whines pulling at Nicks shirt.

Nick looks at me panicked and I laugh at his expression.

"Take him to the bathroom." I encourage and Nick sighs before standing up. He kisses my cheek and walks out of the room with Logan.

It's quiet for a few seconds and I close my eyes. I wasn't tired but just mentally and physically drained from the past 8 hours.

"Alice, dear." I hear from Kathy and my eyes shoot open in alarm.

"Are you okay? What do you need? Want me to call the doctor?" I ask quickly moving to her side and she shakes her head no.