Ashes

Emmett:

I want to call Finnegan about 5 times throughout the day but I resist. I want to know how he is but calling him won't help; he's busy and stressed and has enough going on. I'm sure his phone is blowing up and he knows to call if he needs me.

I get home and decide to make dinner just in case he comes back hungry. If not, I'll take the rest for lunch tomorrow. It's almost dark when he calls. "Hey darling."

"Hi Emmett, can I stop by?"

Huh? Why is he even asking? "Of course."

"Okay, be there in 10. Thanks."

That was succinct and impersonal but I can tell from his voice that he's exhausted. I put Marten back in his cage and clean up the mess he's made. I open the door to a very weary boy. "Rough day, huh?  You look tired."

"I am. I just need to get my stuff."

I have no idea what he's talking about. "Your stuff?"

"Yeah, my clothes. Please don't make this hard."

What am I making hard? "I'm not, I just didn't know what you were talking about. I thought maybe you had work stuff here that you needed. Why are you taking your clothes?"

He sighs, then manages a smile. "Don't take it the wrong way, I just need to simplify right now and living out of two houses isn't going to work. I need all my shit in one place so I can function."

He's making no sense. He's obviously putting in long hours and must expect to be pulling a lot of long days. But still, "Why not come here?"  It's closer.

"I can't do that, it's not fair to you, Emmett. I'm going to be too busy. I can't climb into bed at 2 am and get phone calls in the middle of the night and mess with your sleep, that's just not fair. This is your house and I... it's just easier if I stay at my apartment."

"No it's not. If you're going to have limited time, which sure seems like the biggest problem, you should come home to dinner, a little fun when you're up for it and a clean bed. I can do your laundry, pick up your dry-cleaning and whatever else makes things easier. Are you even going to have time to grocery shop? Do you have any idea how many times a night I got woken up during the army? I am very good at getting back to sleep. Don't worry about that. I'll lose a lot more sleep worrying about you."

"I can't, please? I may be going back to Michigan next week, at least for awhile and I don't even know if I'll keep my apartment. Movers may be coming and I just need everything together. I'm sorry, I... I'm doing everything I can to make this work, I am."

It doesn't feel that way from here and I am not that far away. "Fine. Will you at least send me a text if you leave the state?"

Now he looks sad. "Don't be mad at me, I don't want to go. I just need some time to try to work some magic. I'm getting pulled in 100 directions, Emmett."

Which is why he needs me. "I'm not mad. I'll help you pack." He really doesn't have all that much here and I'm not sending the toys or his toys home with him. Just before I open the front door I tell him "If you change your mind, you have a key."

"Wait, I should give it back to you."

That's it, now I'm pissed. "No. Not happening Finn."

"I wish I could stay" he almost whispers.

"You CAN!" I don't yell, not really, but I'm frustrated and it shows.

"I still have work to do, I have to finish a presentation for tomorrow."

"Fine, you wanna do that now or after I make you feel good?"

He's smiling. "I can't tell you how much I need that, how much I need daddy right now and to focus on something other than the real world but there's just too much to do. I have to go. If tomorrow goes well, maybe we can get together this weekend for a bit."

I guess that's better than nothing. Right now, I'll take it. "Sure. Anytime."

He kisses my cheek which is sweet but not nearly enough. I want him riding my cock, want to hear and feel him come undone, want to taste him. "Bye." He turns, opens the door and is gone and part of me can't help but feel like it's forever. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself if that boy runs home to Michigan.