Wednesday, December 17 {EDITED}

With the children safely in the care of Maria and Horatio's nanny, Colonel Ambrose and his family bundled up in two carriages and headed for Handscomb Court. Holly sat beneath two wool blankets for warmth, but still she nestled up to her mother's side.

"You're going to do splendidly," Mrs. Ambrose said, patting Holly's hand reassuringly.

Holly didn't realize she needed to be comforted until her mother had said anything. At the warm touch, a knot in her stomach seemed to loosen. She hadn't even known she was nervous until they pulled up a long drive and the knot shot into her throat.

As she caught sight of Handscomb Court through the carriage windows, Holly tried to remember what she knew of Lady Colston. At a distance she seemed a dignified and refined woman, but Holly was suddenly overwhelmed with the sense that she wanted to be liked by her.

The carriage stopped and they descended to the snowy drive, the second carriage close behind. Holly had seen the home of the Colston family before, but only from the main road. Up close, it seemed much bigger and twice as intimidating. It was a large white mansion with towering columns and windows between that cast glowing panes of light across the drive.

Holly headed through the front door and into the grand foyer, her parents and siblings at her heels. The hall was much more impressive than anything she had ever seen before. The marble floors were polished to a glistening shine, which reflected the golden light of the crystal chandelier that was the focal point of such a grand entryway. Before Holly could take it all in, she beheld Lady Colston with her son at her side and another young woman on the other.

"Welcome, Miss Ambrose," the elderly woman said with measured words. Her white, wispy hair was curled neatly under a bonnet fashioned with ostrich feathers and her gown a style unlike any Holly had ever seen. Holly tried to keep her wits about her as the elegant woman glided forward. All of Lady Colston's features were pointed from her brows to her nose to her chin, making her look altogether severe.

Holly gave a polite reply and the lady gave her a little grin that softened her features. Archibald stepped up to greet her next.

"Miss Ambrose." He gave her a nod of the head, all propriety and refinement. "May I introduce my sister, Olivia," he said, gesturing to the woman to his left. She looked only a year or two younger than Holly and had fine blonde curls and an undeniable elegance to her appearance that seemed to come naturally to women of high station.

"It's a pleasure," Holly replied, moving aside so the others could greet Lady Colston.

"You are the first to arrive and mother says Archie is to be your escort for the evening," Olivia said with a little glint in her eye.

Holly figured this was as good a sign as any that Lady Colston would assign her son to be her escort. Archibald broke off from the others to lead them into the parlor. He took Holly's arm through his and lead her out of the entry hall.

"Archie?" Holly whispered playfully, squeezing the arm of Archibald's dinner jacket with her gloved hand.

"Yes," he said quietly so the others wouldn't hear. "That's Livie's pet name for me."

"It is a charming name," Holly said as Archibald motioned for her to take a seat on a sofa. To her delight, he immediately took the seat beside her for himself.

Holly took a moment to glance around the parlor, which was a lot to take in. The parlor of Handscomb Court was twice the size of the parlor in Ambrose Manor, and displayed an intimidating array of dark framed oil portraits interspersed between heavy, fringed draperies. It was decked for Christmas and a towering evergreen glowed in a corner, but Holly felt surprisingly out of place among the finery. And judging by the stiffness of her family, she guessed they felt it too.