43 - Iris

The smell coming from the kitchen was mouth-watering as I pranced from one end to the other, swaying to the Christmas music playing from the speakers around the house, my head bopping to a different tune playing in my head. The house wasn't decorated with decorations much to Brooke's dismay but there was a tree by the living room window, illuminating that small corner enough to make it seem semi-festive. Wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and an oversized thin top, I barely felt the chill of the winter season as the oven provided enough warmth when it blasted into my face, revealing the large dish I'd put in there.

School had broken up last week and the boys still hadn't seemed to get their head around the fact I was the one hiding beneath the black hood, sitting next to them in the hall, in the classroom and even standing next to them in the car park. Everybody else in the school was indifferent but the boys seemed to do a double take every time they saw me, mentally reminding themselves who it was beside them but who it was they had to pretend I was. It seemed Brooke wasn't the only one looking forward to the two weeks off school but for an entirely different reason: she wanted the Christmas holiday, but the boys wanted the time off school.

Nathan honoured his word in allowing Ian and Sharon to come for a meal and last night had been...perfect; everyone I loved all in one place, laughing and getting along as though they'd always been like this. For the first time in six years, there was no party, no drugs, no wandering hands of a stranger or drunken man roaming my barely covered body but rather a peaceful evening filled with movies, games and food. It didn't escape my attention that my brothers were constantly watching me, silently asking me with their eyes if I was alright and while I wanted them to enjoy themselves, I knew they were making sure everything was okay; I'd not spent Christmas with them in six years.

"You know, you can take Christmas Day off from waking up early." His voice sounded bemused from behind me and I whirled around to see Nathan standing on the far side of the island, watching me with amusement as I let my limbs move to their own accord. Living up to our daily standards, his morning coffee seemed to make itself as it was soon cupped within his palms as his hazel eyes seemed brighter than before; something seemed to shine in them recently that hadn't been there before. "The boys wouldn't exactly mind it."

"Perhaps I would mind," I commented, lifting an eyebrow in his direction, making him chuckle into his mug as he drank it slowly, allowing the warm liquid to move down his throat. Nathan let me work contently in the kitchen as he remained seated on the stool, eyes glued to his phone screen as he seemed engrossed with something until the sounds of footsteps sounded on the stairs and the doorway gave way to a cohort of surprisingly awake teenagers. I waited until after everyone was seated and situated with a warm drink before I decided to do presents- something I knew would gain varied reactions. "Now that everyone's here, I have some things I want to give each of you."

"I thought we said no presents," Matt announced panicked, eyes widening in alarm at the thought of not getting anyone a gift.

"We did," assured Dan quickly, frowning at me when I approached the tree; at the base were several little piles of wrapped shapes I'd managed to sneak under the tree while none of them were looking alongside some that Ian and Sharon had brought with them last night.

"I know you guys don't do Christmas presents but I wanted to show my gratitude for all you've done for me these past four months; saying it didn't seem to be enough," I excused, picking them up and giving them to their designated recipient; Shane and Cal both pecked my temple as I gave them theirs while the other boys merely kissed the back of my hand. However, when I reached Nathan, he grabbed my hand like the others had yet he didn't kiss it but instead pecked my lips tenderly, smoothing my jawbone with his thumb as he smirked down at me from his stool.