13

"You know who men are?" Melissa asks as she pours wine for June. It's two days later and I have invited them over for supper.

"I know this one," June says and points at my trash bin. "Trash. Men are trash."

"Wrong," Melissa answers and looks at me expectantly. I shrug and uncover the lid to check if the pasta is ready.

"Humor me," she persists. I roll my eyes and pretend to think about it.

"Um, lets see... cunning creatures?"

"Wrong," Melissa says and sips her wine to build the suspense. "They are the most decisive species, unlike women. A man always knows what he wants. He can tell if you are the woman of his dreams just days after he meets you and will stop by the jewelry shop the same day. You know what's funny? The fact that you can date for ten years and still not be the woman he wants."

"So basically if a man approaches me and doesn't propose two months later, I am not the one for him?"  June asks playing along.

"Wow, is that really the best piece of advice to give to someone who was officially dumped barely seventy hours ago?"  I gasp in disbelief. "You really can be insensitive sometimes, Mel."

"It's not about you, okay?"  Melissa says apologetically and gives me one of her famous side hugs. "Guys, I found out that Ken has a family just when I was building my hopes up.”

"That motherfucker," June gasps. "Did his wife confront you?"

"I wish she had,"  Melissa says and takes another sip. "I hacked the password to his computer which coincidentally, was similar to the one for his phone."

"I am sorry,"  I say admiring how strong she is.

"Thanks, but I don't want to turn this into a pity party,"  Melissa says excitedly. "Do you remember the guy from HR? Tony?"

"Leave my house right now," I threaten knowing where this is going.

"Give him a chance. He is a nice guy, come on," Melissa pouts.

"You want me to go on a date with him because he is nice?"  I draw out the words slowly not believing what Melissa is suggesting.

"Honestly? No. It's his looks that give me palpitations every time I see him. Too bad I am way older or I would snatched him long ago."

"I'll see," I sigh in defeat and tell June to assist me with setting up the table.

"You were not paying attention when I showed you his picture, bitch. Admit it."

"Guilty as charged," I shrug.

"Let's see his picture," June says and Melissa extends her phone with a smug smile. "Oh my God, he is freaking gorgeous."

"I admit he is cute alright but just not my type. He wears suits," I declare.

"Are you blind? Look at those arms," June says and brings the phone to my face. 

"He has a sexy accent, on top of that. I know you guys will hit off on the first date,"  Melissa says tapping on my phone. I wrestle it from her but I am too late. The text she sent has already been delivered to the Tony guy. Now I have no choice but to meet him for lunch tomorrow.