It Was Inevitable (a one shot for ponyboysgirl1)

The lights of the stage, it was always the lights of the stage. Make up was thankfully applied perfectly, hair was tamable today and obeyed the commands of the hair appliances and products, and clothes felt reasonably comfortable. But, all that was going to change under those harsh stage lights.

Dani sighed as she squinted up at the light fixtures producing the blinding light that washed over the stage. Her palms began to feel a bit sweaty, so she wiped them on the front of her black top. The twisting, churning, and burning in her stomach made her want to turn around and go sit in solitude somewhere quiet. But, she stood still, battling her nerves. Usually, she was never like this. She was never this nervous. Performing in front of an audience was always just another day on the job for her. It was fun and exciting. Now, she looked herself over in a full length mirror a few feet away from her, and she could practically see the nervousness etched on her face. She groaned and cursed under her breath as the back stage manager peeped out from around a corner and signaled she had two minutes left before performing.

It was his fault. She thought it was definitely his fault. He was in the crowd today.

About a year ago.

Interviews are always a good way to get publicity. That’s what Dani’s agent said anyway. But, they’re also where an interviewee could make or break their career. And, Dani had an interview with Conan O’Brien.

Was she worried?

Um… a little bit.

Why?

Who wouldn’t be?

“And welcome to the show ladies and gentlemen, Dani Barberee,” it was on the cue of those words Dani walked out on to the set.

The sound of her heels clicking against the hard floor of the set was drowned out by the cheers and clapping from the live audience. To her, the sound was encouraging and beautiful. Her big smiling expression was genuine as she waved at the audience and then sat down in the chair closest to Conan’s desk. She smoothed the back of her dress as she adjusted herself on the chair, and then smiled up at Conan.

“Dani,” he nodded at her.

“Conan,” she nodded back with a smile. This was her first time on the show, and she hoped she could get through it without making a fool of herself.

Conan took a moment to look her over. Then he looked over at the audience, and then straight in to the nearest camera, and then back to Dani. He repeated this twice before making some distraught gasping sound. “You’re gorgeous,” he said as a matter of fact.

Blood immediately rushed to Dani’s face, she covered her blush for a few seconds as she laughed.

“Don’t hide from us now, you’re here to do an interview not play peekaboo,” Conan reached over and pushed her hands down.

Dani wrung her hands together in her lap as she smiled brightly and laughed out of flattery and nervousness, “I’m sorry, you just got me blushing.” She confessed, trying to smooth over her over reaction, as she fanned her face with her hands.

“Did I?” Conan smiled mischievously as he waggled his eyebrows at her.

Again, Dani laughed. Quickly, she stifled herself, thinking she was laughing too much, and hoping she didn’t look like an idiot on television. She was new at all this, and coming off as naïve and clueless was the last thing she wanted to do.

“So Dani,” Conan began, “In being a wonderful singer such as yourself, you must be influenced by a variety of music artists.”

“Yes,” Dani nodded.