Chapter 3. Family

“Alena! Please speak to me.” Niko’s voice was desperate. He reached us in no time before I even had the chance to think of something. “There you are,” he said, wiping the sweat on his forehead. “Where did you go last night? After you ran away, I haven’t seen you. Mrs. H. told me not to worry, but I still woke up early this morning to search.”

Poor Niko. His curly hair was stuck on his forehead. He had dirt all over his shirt. Plus, he looked worn out. But what was I thinking? Poor me instead. An alien nearly abducted me last night. Speaking of aliens, Tahti came out from the shadows of the tree, staring straight at Niko. My boyfriend noticed her for the first time.

“Who is this?” he asked, turning to her, then back to me.

“She’s. . .” An alien from outer space. Yeah right. As if he would believe me. “A friend,” I mumbled. Great. Now I was stuck with her.

“Oh. Nice to meet you then.” He walked towards Tahti, a friendly smile on his face. Please don’t eat him, please don’t eat him, I prayed. “I’m Niko, Alena’s boyfriend.”

Tahti stared him from head to toe. “The books were correct,” she said. “There are truly more than one species in this planet.”

Niko turned to me. “What does she mean Alena?” I shrugged, wondering myself what she was referring to.

Tahti began to circle Niko, checking him out. “You are the friend of my Alena.”

“No, I’m the boyfriend.” He laughed, thinking she was joking.

Tahti stopped in front of him. “You are a boy are you not?”

“Well yeah.” Niko looked puzzled. Who wouldn’t?

“Then you are the boy friend,” she said tonelessly.

Niko shook his head vigorously. “No I’m.” He pointed to himself. “The boyfriend. Boyfriend means I love her and I’ll marry her someday.”

Tahti looked taken aback, one of the first expressions she showed since I saw her. “But that’s impossible.”

“Why?” Niko was sounding frustrated by the minute, and I couldn’t blame him. But I didn’t want to interfere either. Something about the whole scenario kind of appealed to my senses, though I couldn’t put a finger on it.

“You can’t possibly marry her.” Tahti signaled to me. “She’s my bride. I’m her other half.”

“I don’t get you.” By the look on Niko’s face, he wanted to flail his arms wildly. “Alena, I don’t get your friend.”

“Makes the two of us,” I muttered under my breath. I put on a fake smile, hoping it looked convincing enough for both of them. “She’s just pulling your leg Niko. You know how people are.”

“Why would I want to pull his legs?” she asked quizzically.