Prologue

0.0; Prologue

        " I cant sleep without your breathing, and I can't breath each time you're leaving"

☽☽☽☽☽

        The night is dark, cold and eerie under the forest tops. It's the end of Christmas break, the weather is dropping second by second to below zero, and the wind keeps blowing harshly against the branches of trees. The moon is almost full high above Beacon Hills, the only light shining above the preserve . But far away, at the clearing, you can see the twinkling lights of the small city.

        She doesn't know how she got here, how she managed to walk into the middle of the woods with the aching on her left side and only wearing the ugly, blue hospital gown. She doesn't even remember how she got the gown in the first place either. And she most definitely doesn't remember why she's following a naked Lydia Martin through Beacon Hills' preserve.

        It's like she's supposed to follow her strawberry blonde best friend around, there's a feeling tugging her to walk and walk and walk. Lydia doesn't seem to notice Nova, it's like she's not even there - Lydia's green eyes are empty, robotic. Her hair is wild, devilishly laying on her shoulders, with sticks and leaves poking from it.Her porcelain-doll face covered in scratches and flushed, her plump lips a blue faded into pink. Nova worries for her friend, Lydia is supposed to be somewhat normal amongst their little clique. She's supposed to be oblivious to the supernatural, but the deep bite on her left side is too much for normal. Derek had said the bite either kills you or turn you, perhaps Lydia was turning into a werewolf, at least that's all Nova could think. Thinking of Lydia dying was too painful.

        Lydia walks behind a tree, and Nova begins to follow, she can hear the strawberry blonde's footsteps crushing dry leaves beneath her weight, but Nova's are silent, almost like she's levitating or not there. She stops for a second, expecting Lydia to come from behind the tree anytime soon but she doesn't.

        "Lyds?" The brunette asks barely above a whisper. No answer.

        She groans, rising her voice an octave, "Lydia, come out," She hisses but again, the Martin girl doesn't reply.

        The fear settles on Nova's gut, last time she dealt with a newly turned wolf Scott nearly killed her and Stiles. She begins to move again, each step filled with dread and hesitance. She round the tree, but Lydia is not there.

        "Lydia this isn't funny, come out now," Nova pleads, tucking her hands under her arms. She places one against the bark of the tree and she peeks behind it again.

        With a gasps, she falls to the ground, feeling the grass beneath her fingers. The unnatural white light blinding her like a reflector upon her. Flashbacks of the time she played Juliette on the school's Romeo and Juliette production when she was 10 and ended throwing up all over Greenberg when the light shined upon her face run though her mind.

        She lays on the ground, her back to the grass and the breath knocked out of her, trying to get oxygen into her lungs and her sight back. The back of her head is pounding, and her bones are stiff.

        First, she recover from the impact, the air inflates her chest with heavy breathings, and then, her eyes begin to adjust to the brightness. She feels a warm thick liquid under her, a metallic smell flaring her nostrils, she pushes back the bile- it's blood. All around her and over her; the lukewarm crimson substance stains everything it touches.

        "Oh God, oh God," She mutters to herself over and over again.

        Nova recoils back into a sitting position, her mouth tightly shut. She feels the perspiration prickling down her back and her wet hands drying- the blood drying on her finger nails and her face. So much blood. Everywhere. Over Her body, on the grass, on her hair, on the ugly, blue hospital gown- no, not the gown, her winter formal dress, the gorgeous silky, champagne-colored dress Lydia and her had gone shopping for, a month prior the big date. The same dress she had bought to match Stiles' tie before he had to go with Lydia because Allison had to go with Jackson and so on. The same dress Matt Daehler had spilled soda on and had made her walk to the bathroom, which had ended up in running into The strawberry blonde, which had ended up in them walking to the lacrosse field in the middle of the formal. Stupid Matt, she had agreed to come with him- she didn't like him, but it was him or no one, and he had a car- but she had agreed and she was popular and he wasn't, and he had spilled his goddamn soda all over her. And then what had happened? Her memory was blank, there was no reminder of what had happened.

        A deep laugh rumbles through the field, and she looks around in fear- her eyes spot a blue-dresses figure covered in blood too, Nova gasps, "Lydia."

        She fumbles trough the ground, standing up quickly, pushing herself up and ignoring her knees trying to buckle. And then she sees him.

        Peter Hale's sociopath smile had made her nauseous the very first time she saw it, and back then she was behind her two beta friends. He gives her a smirk, his eyes dart toward Lydia's crumpled body, he's standing at the end of the field and with just one glance, she knows what he's thinking. She begins to run, faster than she ever has. He starts running too, seconds later at a much more human speed than what an alpha is capable of. She realizes this too late, for when she's standing in front of Lydia, she realizes it's not her who he wants, but Nova.

        "I promise this won't hurt," He smiles again, his eyes turning electric crimson, "Too much."

        The two pairs of canines pierce her skin as he bites, taking a chunk of flesh and muscle in the process. Everything turns black and suddenly, she's back at the burnt Hale's house with Derek.

        "The bite can either kill you or turn you," He says looking through the window, and when he turns around, his once blue eyes are red.

☽☽☽☽☽

        The first thing she hears is the beeping- first slow and then it begins to beep faster. She wakes up in a halt, the light blinding her momentarily and she tries to stand up but the IV cord pulls her back, making her wince as the needle is ripped out of her wrist. She's in the hospital, dressed in that ugly, blue gown, and that has never, ever made her any happier.

        Next to her Scott sighs in relief, "Oh thank God, Nova," He clutches her hand which is cold and frail whilst his is warm and calloused; she stares at him in confusion, her heart beating against her chest rapidly.

        "W-what?" She stutters.

        "Nova, you were unconscious for two weeks," he whispers, "The Alpha bit you."