Worth The Wait

5 Years later...

Ava POV

"Sweetie, hurry or you'll be late to your graduation!"

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Mom, you do realize that a blind person can't be rushed?"

"Oh, please. You act as if you don't run around here every day." Mary scoffed as she ushered me to the car. "Now where is that idiotic man?"

"I hope you aren't referring to me." Uncle Dave said as he got into the driver's seat.

"Who else would I be referring to?"

I giggled. Uncle Dave finally proposed to Mary two years ago.

'Hey, kiddo. Are you sure I should do this? I mean, what if she says no? I don't think-"

I got so fed up that I ended up screaming for Mary.

She came, running. 'What?! What happened?! Are you okay?!"

I calmed her down before pointing to Uncle Dave's direction. 'He has a question.'

'Huh? What is it?'

Uncle Dave stuttered, unprepared before finally blurting out. 'Will you marry me?'

The room went silent and I bit my lip, wondering if I did the right thing when Mary's words suddenly cracked me up.

'Really, David? For a man who easily faces the world and gets things done, you took this long to ask that question? I was starting to think that maybe I should propose to you instead.'

'Wha- hey, it's not as easy as-' Uncle Dave tried to defend himself.

'And not only did it take you years to propose but really? What kind of proposal was that? Ryder's proposal was a hundred times better than yours.'

'I had a lot planned, okay? I was just nervous.'

'You're so unbelievable. Whatever, yeah, I'll marry you.'

'Wow, are you sure you want to marry me? You don't seem so excited about it.' Uncle Dave asked sarcastically.

I was close to collapsing to the floor from lack of air with how much I was laughing.

'Oh? Disappointing reaction, right? That's exactly how I feel about your proposal.' Mary said before huffing her way back to the kitchen.

Uncle Dave stood still before asking. 'So she did agree to marry me, right?'

I just managed to stop laughing before bursting into another round of laughter, shaking my head. 'Uncle Dave. I'm sorry, but you're just too stupid when it comes to love.'

I smiled at the memory. I wished I could've seen their reactions but it's okay, it's still one of the best memories I had.

"We're here. You nervous?" Uncle Dave asked.

I grinned. "Are you kidding? I'm finally graduation from University. I'm excited!"

He chuckled. "I figured. Come on, let's go."

The three of us got out of the car and went to where the ceremony was being held.

"Hey, beautiful!"

A smile automatically spread across my face. "Well, if it isn't Mr. King."

"Mr. King at your service, my lady." He said, grabbing hold of my hand before placing a kiss.

I laughed. "Where is everybody?"

"They're at their seats. Come on, I'll bring you to your seat."

Originally, our seats are supposed to be far apart since it's supposed to be going in alphabetical order but somehow, Ryder convinced the school to put us together. I'm guessing he used the 'she's blind and she's more comfortable with me' excuse.

I shook my head, amused. Really. He says I'm a handful but look at him.

The ceremony was a long process and honestly, I think I fell asleep for half of it but it's okay. I'm sure I'll hear all about it from Uncle Dave. An hour or so had passed and the ceremony had just ended when I was suddenly lifted from my seat. I immediately grabbed onto Ryder's gown, yelping.

He chuckled as he walked to who knows where.

"Ryder, put me down." I laid my head on his shoulder as I held onto him tightly.

"Are you sure you want me to put you down?" He teased.

I smiled. "No, put me down when we reach your family."

He hummed a response.

"Aaaaavvvaaaaa!" A high-pitched scream sounded, making me laugh.

When the owner of the scream stopped in front of us, I smiled in her direction. "Hey, Kenzie. When did you arrive?"

"I got here right as the ceremony started and let me tell you this. It's just as boring as our high school graduation."

"Hey," I said, pretending to sound offended.

"Oh please," she scoffed. "Don't act as if you didn't fall asleep during the ceremony."

I felt Ryder laugh and I smacked his chest. "You had better not be laughing at me. Why aren't you putting me down?"

"Hm? Oh because you said to put you down when we reach my family."

I rolled my eyes. "Put me down."

He sighed. "Fine."

"Don't worry, Ryder. You can have all the time to carry after you guys get married." Kenzie teased. "Lord knows you deserve it after proposing to her two years ago. I'm surprised you didn't just ditch her and go for me."

"I'm sorry, Mackenzie but although you're an amazing woman and it pains me to wait for that special day where she can have my last name, I do believe she is worth the wait."

Kenzie snapped her fingers. "Aw man. Ava, I failed again."

I sighed. "Oh well, maybe you'll succeed at the wedding."

"Sorry, but you'll never be able to get rid of me." Ryder whispered into my ears.

I laughed. "Well, we'll see about that, Mr.King."

"Hm, yeah, we'll see. After all, I had to wait a whole year until you finally agreed to date me and then another two years for you to agree to my proposal. Why don't you give up since, as you may have noticed, I'm a very patient man."

"I just want to see just how long it'll take for you to finally give up."

He gathered me close. "You'll have to wait a lifetime then."