Chapter 12

The first day went by uneventful. The conjoined company marched farther away from Rivendell and did not stop till sunset. Bombur, Bofur and Bifur were a great help with getting dinner ready for the larger group. Of the dwarves in Thorin's party, they were the best cooks. Fili and Kili were a great help with gathering firewood and Oin and Gloin got the fires started in record time. Already the addition of the fourteen others to the refugee party have become a considerate assistance.

Dinner was a delicious cabbage soup and Bilbo was helping clear the campfire of dishes with Ori. Fróia was sending two of her guards to stand watch till midnight, then she and Tomli would relieve them.

"Oh Bilbo!" the she-dwarf called. "Could you come over here for a moment?"

Bilbo set the dirty dishes next to the large pot filled with water and headed over to Fróia.

"You did very well in your sneakiness, Master Hobbit," she praised.

"Oh...I wouldn't say that..."

"Well, whatever the case may be, I thought you'd like this for your dinner repast," Fróia handed him a small pouch. "Bofur mentioned to me that you seemed a bit homesick back in Rivendell. I thought this might cheer you up."

Bilbo loosened the pouch and poured a small amount of its contents into his hand. A shredded mass of dark green flakes fell onto his palm; it was tea leaves.

"I admit to not knowing a lot about hobbits, but I know that they are fond of the comforts of home, tea among them."

Bilbo raised his eyes to gaze up at Fróia. He could feel his eyes starting to water and he tried to blink them away. No one in his company had ever thought to present Bilbo something that would soothe his homesick heart. They'd just tease him for not being fit for this journey or urged to not think about home. Easier said than done, thought the hobbit.

"I...Fróia...this is..." Bilbo faltered.

"Why don't you run along and find a pot to boil those leaves in?" the she-dwarf offered, smiling at the hobbit's emotionally-cracked voice. Bilbo bobbed his head and did as Fróia had suggested.

She could sense Thorin coming to stand behind her and didn't turn around. "I see you haven't lost your incredible capacity for kindness."

"I should hope not! In a world like this, we need all the acts of kindness we can get!"

The company marched on in a thick column. Thorin's company was dispersed among Fróia's, talking and passing the time in good conversation. Fróia, by no surprise, was up with Thorin and Bilbo. It was after their lunch break when Mira ran up to the three.

"Fróia! The children are calling for a game. What do you say?"

Her sister looked to Thorin, as they had been in deep conversation together about the community he had founded in the Blue Mountains and Bilbo had been listening along. The prince gestured Fróia to go with her sister and so she did.

"Alright!" Fróia said, clapping her hands for attention. The group of dozen or so dwarf younglings huddled up. "Who's up for a relay race?"

"I am! I am!" were the responses.

Fróia smiled and looked to the side where the mass of her people was still walking. "Sons of Durin, does your pride permit you to assist my sister and I in amusing the younger generation of our people?"

"I'm not too proud!" exclaimed Bofur.

"Neither am I!" cried Kili.

"What do you need us to do?" asked Fili.