Edges

Melissa parked her car, but left the engine running for a moment. The mornings were far too cold and the staff parking lot would be full long before sunrise. She gritted her teeth as she cursed herself for neglecting to set her coffee maker the night before. She closed her eyes, drawing in one last deep breath to steel her nerves.

When Melissa entered the building, she greeted Elena, the school's administrative assistant. "Heeeeyyyy," Elena drew the word out. Melissa glared back, sensing something amiss.

"Is everything alright, Elena?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just..."

"What's going on?" Melissa interrupted. "You're acting like you're about to break up with me."

"Sorry," Elena answered with a chuckle. "You have a parent waiting in your office."

"Are you serious?" She craned her neck to look down the hallway. "Who's back there?"

"Stanley Knox." Elena broke eye contact.

Melissa dropped her jaw and her shoulders. "How could you let him back there? Why didn't you just have him wait out here?"

"I'm sorry. He was just so insistent. I didn't know what to do."

"You tell him to sit his ass in the lobby." Elena nodded and hung her head. "I'm sorry, Elena. I haven't had any coffee yet."

"Yeah, that's obvious," Elena taunted. Melissa smirked and walked slowly toward her office.

Melissa stopped at the window to her office and stared at Stanley Knox for several seconds. He was leaning back in his chair with his arms folded tightly. As Melissa saw his legs crossed at the ankles with his foot rapidly bouncing from side to side, she prepared herself for an unpleasant interaction. She took a deep breath before opening the door.

"Good morning, Mr. Knox. What can I do for you today?" She greeted him as diplomatically as she could manage.

"We need to talk, Miss Pratt," he barked.

"Of course, Mr. Knox. What seems to be the problem?"

"That Cami girl broke up with my son recently. Were you aware of that?"

Melissa's eyes reflexively widened. "No, Mr. Knox, I hadn't heard that. Is Patton okay?"

"Patton?" he shouted with a glower. "He's fine. I want to know what you're going to do about it."

Melissa rolled her eyes as she placed her purse on the floor behind her desk. She took her seat before responding. "I'm sorry, sir. I'm not sure what you mean."

"There's obviously something wrong with the girl," he declared. "She's been going with my son since they were in the sixth grade. Then she comes over while we're having supper and breaks up with him with no explanation. It's bullshit!"

"I understand that you're upset. You love your son and I'm sure he's hurt..."

"Look, Miss Pratt, my son is going to be fine," he countered. "The next girl will come along before he knows it, but he deserves an explanation. What she did isn't right."

At that moment, Brandon, one of the history teachers, entered the office. "Good morning, Mr. Knox. I'm so sorry to interrupt. Ms. Pratt, can I borrow you for a second? I have an urgent student matter to discuss with you."