Chapter Fifteen

September turned to October in the blink of an eye. The clouds swirled with the promise of rain and the nights crept closer to morning every time Harry went to sleep. He disliked winter. It was a cold and unforgiving season, and he was sure that if it wasn't for Lady Magic winter would have claimed his life long ago. Today was Samhain. All Hallow's Eve, or Halloween as the muggles called it. Realising the date as he scratched it into the top of his parchment that morning lead to a horrible feeling of dread settle over his stomach. He didn't want to go to the Halloween feast that Draco was excitedly talking about, he didn't want to gorge himself on sweets like Vince and Greg, or complain about the muggle traditions taking over with Padma, where "India still celebrates with the olde magic- as it should be done! Not this muggle nonsense!". His family had been torn from him that night, and his near eidetic memory forbade him from ever forgetting.

A scream- his mother's?

'Not Harry! Please, Take me instead! Please not Harry!'

'Stand aside silly girl! Stand aside!'

'No! Not my Harry!'

A flash of green and a thud. He heard infant cries- his own? The hooded figure raised his wand to the infant, warped and pale as bone. He could see green light budding at the tip as the dark Lord Voldemort studied his prophesised downfall.

'Avada Kedavra!' Light blinded him, swallowing him and then, he was floating, he couldn't feel the softness of the cot and the warmth of the blankets around him fighting off the autumn chill. He felt a tugging sensation in his navel- No! He could see his mother reaching for him, emerald eyes brimming with tears. Mum! Mum! And then, there was nothing.

Harry shook himself from the maudlin memories, focusing back on his classwork. Today they were learning the levitating spell- Wingardium Leviosa. Most of his accidental magic as a child had been levitation- reaching things from high shelves, levitating books back into place. The intent was the same, he could feel the magic bubbling under his skin, begging to be used. From across the room he could see Granger and Weasley bickering. Why Flitwick had thought that mixing up the houses was a good idea was beyond him, but whatever Weasley had said must have prompted some form of reaction from Granger, as the jabbed her wand angrily at the boy, before performing the incantation perfectly, a satisfied smile on her face. The expression reminded him of Dudley. Harry scowled away the thought.

"Oh well done! See here everyone Miss Granger's done it! Five points for Ravenclaw!" The small charms professor seemed to almost topple off his chair with pride, but Harry was sure it served only to enlarge her ego. Not to be outdone, Harry flicked his wand too, raising the feather much higher than Granger's with a practised ease.

"And Mr Potter too! Take another five points!"

The Muggleborn witch glared at him with a thinly veiled rage, Harry smiled sweetly back. It really was no wonder she didn't have any friends.

--

"Honestly she's insufferable! Padma you're doing it wrong! You're supposed to give a swish- not a flick! Oh Padma it's not Ignium A-cus It's Ign-i-um A-cus! Oh Padma arranged marriages are so old fashioned- you really should follow the muggles it's much better!" Padma vented to Harry and Neville, pacing in the courtyard. "She really needs to learn how to talk to people, it's no wonder no one wants to be around her. She's NEVER going to get a worthy husband or wife like that!" Neville smiled sheepishly in response to the dark-haired girl's ravings, but Harry whipped his head around with wide eyes as a bushy haired girl stormed passed. That stopped Padma in her tracks, as her face blossomed into a blotchy red blush.